Mealworms in Pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy

Reaction score
I recently bought a huge bag of rabbit pellets from a feed store and transferred it into a plastic bag. I left it on the kitchen counter before I had a chance to put it into a big rubbermaid container. That was last night.

This morning, I saw a mealworm (baby form of beetle) lying dead in a small puddle of water just inches away from the bag. I guess I should also mention that there's a small hole in the bag (which I managed to rip myself as I was putting it on the counter).

I'm wondering.. has anyone ever found MEALWORMS in their pellets before? My boyfriend highly doubts it came outfrom the hole in the bag of pellets, but I think it's possible, especially if it's a batch that came into contact with a beetle(s) somehow.

I sifted through the bag of pellets just now and don't see anything unusual.

Any ideas? What are the chances of a mealworm finding itself on a counter if it's not from the pellets? I used to have turtles and fed mealworms to them...and from what I witnessed, they can't really climb.

You probably know but are you sure it isn't larvae from a moth? My dogs food used to get these little food moth thingys and they had larvae in them that were white, about and inch long and with a little black head. GROSS!!! But I have never seen them in the rabbit food. Do you have any other pet food around?

If it is a mealworm, perhaps it came from the factory and it got out when you tore the bag.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your reply!

Moth larvae is also known as waxworms, right? Please correctme if I'm wrong.I'm familiar with both these worms as food for reptiles and I'm quite certain it was a mealworm. I think waxworms are more white in color + thicker while mealworms are thinner and more yellow/orange. Perhaps there are other types of moth larvae? Not sure.

The mealworm wasn't a tiny baby one, either - looks like it had been alive and living for quite some time and died in the small puddle of water on the counter.

Yes, I have lots of other pet food in the house but not on the counter. They are kept in airtight containers and in a high cupboard.

Ah, I'm shuddering thinking of worms. They give me the chills.

Ijustremember now that whiletalking to a breeder once, I asked her what she thought of the brand of rabbit pellets I'm using. She said it's good but she stopped using it for her own rabbits when she found bugs in one bag. I never bothered to ask her what kind though because I never had that problem.

Should I switch the brand?

Mealworms do sometimes feed on stored grain, so it is possible that it came from the bag of feed.

Recent similar thread:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=25939&forum_id=1&highlight=worms+in+food

Info on mealworms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mealworm

mealworm_logo.jpg

Waxworms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waxworms

Waxworms.jpg

Thanks Pam!

Someone suggested I check my cupboards to see whether I have an infestation that came from a box somewhere but thankfully, nope. So I am almost *certain* that it came from the bag of pellets.

I also e-mailed the breeder last night and she got back to me, saying she found white wiggly things that looked almost like dust to her at first. I don't know how mealworms look when they're just born, but ick!

I'll phone the feedstore and ask/tell them about this problem. Thanks again!

Back