Maybe Getting a Flemish

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the big day has been moved up. Ihad an issue at work today and had to suspend someone, so I have totake his Saturday evening shift, I think. I called Nicci, thebreeder, and she said Friday would be fine, so now I'm getting him onFriday. I really have to make room for his cagetomorrow! LOL. He's not going in with the otherbuns, no space in that room for him. He might live in theliving room, but I'm thinking he's going to go in my bedroom.He's going to get a NIC cage for now, I don't have the energy to go getthe huge kennel from storage, it's way in the back, and he's just alittle runt right now (she said around 4 to 6 lbs).

He's eating Blue Seal right now, I don't know anything about that,should I change it? Also, my full grown bunnies get timothypellets and Saphy and Orion willgo on those at 6 months(Saphy is actually younger then the flemish LOL), but how long does theflemish need alfalfa? And the calf manna, how long for that,or is that a forever kind of thing? Oh, I have a millionquestions and can't think of any right now.

Nicole- I really wanted a blue or black, but I fell in lovewith the pictures of these guys and decided I wanted a sandy.I thinking I'll get another one eventually, so that will probably be ablue or black. I can't believe how many people are gettingflemish!

Jen

If your not going to keep him on the blueseal you need to sswitch him gradually. Otherwise, I've heard Blue Sealis a good one. The alfalfa is generally given for a year and a half asis the CalfManna. Flemish grow for that long lol. I thought Apollo wasdone, but he grew another inch and a half longer and gained a poundlast month.

I am so excited for you. Oh I meant to ask does thisbig boy have a name yet or is that for later? Another thing to consideris joining the NFFGRB. It's cheap and it's all about Flemish. I can'tpraise it enough.

Tina

Tina,

I'm still don't know if I'm going to change the food of not, but I'lldefinitely get some from her and probably I'll just make the switchbecause I know I can get it in a big bag.

I'm thinking maybe Sampson for the name, but I haven't decided forsure, I'll have to see him first. I can't believe I'm gettinghim tomorrow, it's all moved so much faster then I thought itwould. I was thinking it would be months.

Jen

TOMORROW?!

"The Bun will be home, Tomorrow,

Betcher bottom dollar that Tomorrow, He'll be home.

Just thinkin about Tomorrow,

I'll have to take a container for the Blue Seal, which I'll borrow

...til there'snone."

Can't WAIT,Cirrustwi!!

Nichole,

Smart move about adopting in the Summer and exposing the little one tothe hot temperatures. Blues, blacks...you can't go wrong witha Flemish of any kind. In my eyes, they're all beautiful. :)

-Carolyn

Tick Tock * Tick Tock * Tick Tock . . .

Ever notice how S L O W time goes when you're waiting for the good time to arrive??!

-Carolyn

I love the name Sampson. Very masculinefor a big boy. I can't believe how fast it went either. I have completefaith that this is the right thing. You will never regret getting aFlemish. They are like no other bunny.

I am so excited for you. I can hardly stand it lol.

Tina

I really thought it would be a long day today. I'm not the best a waiting.

Actually, today has kind of flown by, I've been sleeping allday. I've had a sore throat for a couple of days, but I justthought it was my allergies. When I got up for work thismorning, I was just miserable. I can barely swallow and I'mjust so tired. I called off work for the first time in ayear, so I must feel awful. I haven't even gotten his cagebuilt yet, but I'm going to do that soon. I have to clear aspot in my room for him, it should be interesting because it's a reallysmall room, but I'll make it work.

Jen

I actually have a question: My doctor called andI have strep throat. Can I give this to therabbits? My buns have already been exposed as I spent hourswith them last night and Elvis snuggled in bed with me all day, but Idon't want to make the new guy sick. I know colds and fluscan be transmitted to ferrets and rats, but I also know that strep isan exception. I will have been on antibiotics for 3 doses andmy doctor said I shouldn't really be contagious any longer.I'm going to try to find some answers online, but I have no idea whatrabbits can/cannot catch from me.

Thanks,

Jen

Rabbits appear to have some immunity againstStrep A, the strain most commonly carried byhumans.I don't know of anycases where a human infected a rabbit with Strep A through casualcontact.

Pam

Thanks Pam!! I actually posted thistwice because I was so concerned. I have a ton of hourscoming up at work, and my vet is 1 1/2 hrs away and I really didn'twant to have to try to get an appointment that fit in my schedule andmy vets. LOL

Jen

Although pets have sometimes been blamed forspreading strep Awithin a family, actual studies do notsupport that theory. . .

"Treating children with multiple episodes of throat infections causedby Group A beta hemolytic streptococcus (commonly called a "strepthroat") can be frustrating. One source of the strep bacteria wasthought to be household pets. A recent study from the University ofTexas. Dallas, shakes this believe.

The doctors cultured not only the children, but also their dogs andcats. Although the children all had positive cultures for strep, noneof their pets did. The doctors then cultured 149 dogs and cats from alocal veterinary hospital. They obtained a total of 371 cultures (fromthe pets mouth, nose, axilla, and vagina) and all were negative forgroup A strep.

Pets may carry certain diseases, but it appears that they are not a common source of group A strep."

Reference:http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0816/is_n2_v16/ai_17372617

Thanks Pam!! When I was a little girl,I remember my Nana telling me that the dogs and cats would get sickfrom me, but not make me sick. She was funny. Shehad tons of dogs and a couple of cats over the years and she always hada story to go with everything about those dogs. :p

Jen

The mostlikely avenue of petstransmitting serious illness to humans is through bite wounds. (Exceptmites and ring worm, which are spread to humans by handling theinfected animal).

Fecal contact is also a mode of transmission.

However, It reallyirks meto see the news reportswhere they claim E coli was transmitted to fair goers via the animalson display. (Many of you may have seen the handwashing stations nowcommon at fairs).

Reports failed to make public the fact that an ice cream vendor usingcontaminated water was to blame in the Ohio cases a few years ago.

Investigatorsseem to overlook the obvious clue that thechildren who are actually handling and cleaning up after the animalsare not becoming ill -- casting doubt on the fact that the animalscould be the source.

Pam

Pam -- You make a really good point. Ican't even count how many sick animals I've dealt with at home and/orwork, and I've never gotten sick from them.

Tomorrow is definite!! I just got off the phone with thebreeder, I'm meeting her in the late afternoon at her house.I'm so excited. I'm going to set up his cage right now, Istill haven't done it...well, I cleared a space, I just have to buildit.

Jen

We've been talking alot about zoonotic diseasesin one of my classes this semester. It's really interesting stuff.Pam's right that transmission from animal to human is quite rare unlessthere is direct fluid transmission (like in a bite wound). It's truethe other way as well. And diseases, other than parasites, aresometimes transmitted through the inhalation of dried fecal matter(like in the case of the hanta virus), but cases of things like that indomesticated animals are very poorly documented. Most of the cases ofviruses and bacterial infections like strep passing between humans andanimals simply through close contact have either been between humansand primates or humans and pigs (weird, I know). In any case, it'srare, and I'm sure you can't give your rabbits strep, as Pam said. :) Ijust like sharing my weird tidbits of info. Medicine is soooointeresting.

Today is the big day!! I can't believeit's already here. I'm leaving my house around 1 or 2 to meether sometime between 3 and 4. I have his cage all ready,Ijust have to get him a litter box and some of the food shehas been feeding and something for his hay and a water bottle (ok, hiscage is put together and has toys in it LOL). Jake, myyorkie, actually slept in the cage last night because I left the dooropen. It was entertaining.

Ok, I'm going to do one last check of the cage and maybe take a nap before I have to leave.

Jen

Back