Maybe babies??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewlingcricket

Reaction score
I don't know how everyone stands it!! Today is day 28 for my ND and the wait is killing me. This is my first ever litter and I am only about 80% certain she is pregnant. I gently tried palpating her and think I felt something, but she got really cranky about it. She has put on about 3/4 of a pound, and when around day 15 we tried putting he back with the buck like the book we have suggested, she was completely uninterested. Everything points to a pregnancy but I just don't have the skill to know for sure. Now on day 28 she has a nesting box, and she likes going in it and rearranging the hay just so but I don't know, and the wait is about to drive me nuts!!!!

I have a ND litter due in 8 days....I try to keep myself occupied but it is very nerve wracking. :waiting:

Haha! I've got a Mini Lop on day 28 as well! The wait is absolutely killing me! Plus, I've got a pygmy goat who's due since Sunday all the way till next Wednesday. Grrrr...just have them already!! =D

(ShadedNightRabbitry's old account here... xD)

I raise ND's, so perhaps I could help a little. For 3/4's of a pound... Well. That's a lot. XD Generally when I weigh mine, I get about 1 baby per ounce gained. Not perfectly, but usually. 3/4 is pretty big, and is about what my last doe gained before she kindled 7 kits. I wouldn't be surprised if your doe has 4-8. Of course, if she was being free fed throughout the whole pregnancy, she may have eaten too much and gained half of that.

I've also found when they have so many, they just want them out. XD I've never had an ND go past 29 days with a litter. Although, different lines may have different patterns.

When she starts looking uncomfortable laying down, that's usually when she's close to kindling. Mine all do this funny bunny flop thing. They do it all the time, but a couple hours before kindling (and I assume the labor's starting), they're flop hard, lay for 5 seconds, get up, flop again. And just repeat that for a while. My other does, that don't do that, will spend the last two hours pulling hair. Then they just go and sit in the nest box.

I've been pretty lucky. I've only missed one birth out of 6. =D I'm odd when it comes to that, but I like to make sure everything goes okay. Plus it's nice to pull out the deformities (peanuts, max factors and hippos) as soon as possible.

Good luck!~

Back