Maya is peeing everywhere

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danniela_h

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
One week ago Maya started to pee everywhere, in our bedroom,in every corners, bath etc. She's 3 years now, untill now she did just pee in her litter box, she is neutered from one year of age.
Any idea of what that might mean? It is possible that she catch cold or - another SF idea:) - I'm 7 month pregnant and maybe she can feels that and wants to mark the teritory...I don't know...
I haven't neglected her at all, need an advice please!
Thank you all!

You may want to have her seen by a vet to rule out any medical issues causing a change in litter habits.

Has any thing else changed in your home besides your pregnancy?

If it proves not to be caused by a medical problem then you may want to start back at square one with the litter training.

In our country there aren't vets very specialized in rabbits issues, and she's eating and all...
No, we didn't change anything in our house, we trimmed her 2 or 3 weeks ago though. But it wasn't her first time.
She pees in the litter box, but I have no idea why started to pee in every corner, too.

You can try cleaning where she pees with a mix of white vinegar/water. This breaks down the urine smell completely so she at least will not pee there again based on smell. You would want to first try it on a very small spot to make sure it does not stain.

I have no idea why she might be peeing in corners and such since she is spayed. It might help if you provide her with another litter box so she doesn't have to go so far to get to one.

A UTI could possibly cause that issue as well as other medical problems.

She could have developed incontinence, which could mean she has some underlying medical problem like diabetes. Are there any other symptoms? Is her bum wet?

It's unlikely she would mark her territory because of a new human, territory marking is more to protect against rival bunnies.

Thank you for the replies, tomorrow I will go to the vet with urine, hope I can collect 1 ml (they told me that is the minimal amount) considering that she makes through the entire house a little bit. I post a picture, it looks like there are a couple of drops of blood near the urine ones, I hope is not something serious :(

IMG_6283.jpg

IMG_62831.jpg

Last edited:
If she is dribbling urine, and if that is blood(which it looks like) and not dark urine, she likely has a UTI. Though bladder sludge/stones are also a possibility. So it's good you are having her seen by a vet. Even if you can't collect 1ml, they should at least be able to test a small amount to see if there is actually blood in the urine.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

If the vet isn't very rabbit experienced, be careful about any antibiotics given or prescribed. Some antibiotics are dangerous for rabbits to have. A safe one for rabbits, and one that is commonly given for a urinary tract infection, is trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole.
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Safe_drugs_main.htm

If bladder sludge or stones, treatment is a bit more complicated.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm (WARNING: contains medical related photos)

I went today for analysis, no blood in urine, only some crystals, a cystitis, instead when analyzing the blood came out kinda high blood sugar levels, we need to repeat that after a month. What do you think, I have reasons to worry? I was told to remove food that contains a lot of calcium and sugar ...
They made her an anti-inflammatory, we have to go again for 2 more days for that.

IMG_6289.jpg

I apologize that this thread has become more than just about behavior , if it can be moved to Health, thank you!

Latest posts

Back