Max is at the Vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haley

Reaction score
Okay, I just took Max to the vet for the third time in about 2 months or so. He has had a little runny nose (clear thin discharge) and sneezes a few times a day.

We put him on Baytril 2x and nothing happened. The vet said he thinks it might be allergies, but hes doing a culture and sensitivity to be sure. They made me leave him there bc they said he needed to be sedated to do the test. Does this sound right?

I thought it was just a simple swab test. Im just hoping they're not doing this to up the charge...but I want to do what is best for Max. Also, I asked them to check while they're in there to make sure there isnt ab obstruction.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice on this? Im starting to get frustrated as he's had this thing for a long time! (also, its weird bc he and Basil are inseparable and Basil has showed no signs of having this...)

-Haley

Hi Haley!

We went through a lot of stress and money with Benji, only to come to the deduction that he has some kind of an allergy.....dust most likely.

The first thing that happens is that his eyes start running, and then sneezing starts if I don't respond in a timely manner. Ususally I catch it when his eyes first start running and he recovers rather quickly. Finding out what's causing it is the most difficult part. A lot of things seem to trigger it......opened windows, vacuming or dusting the bunnie room, dusty hay or pellets, etc. I rinse the eye(s) with saline and apply warm compresses and by the next day he's okay. I recently put a HEPA air filter in the bunnie room and it really seems to help, too.

~Jim

Thanks Jim.

I guess I will wait and see how the test result comes back. Im guessing it will be negative. I just think if it was some kind of infection Basil would have caught it as well. Better safe than sorry though :)

I had been suspecting it was allergies...I have been keeping the room immaculate and filtered out all the dust from his food and hay. Could be anything though, like the cleaner I use etc. I guess we'll wait and see.

Have your buns allergies improved once you got the filter? Ive been thinking of getting one for myself anyway so maybe we'll try that.

Thanks for the quick response :)

Haley

Benji's eye's would get bad about every 2or 3weeks, and then would clear up in a few days with no meds.

It didn't take us long to realize that our cage cleaning schedule was in synchronization with Benji's runny eyes.....duh.

An awful lot of fur and dust flies when you clean 8 cages. In the future, we'll put a big towel over his cage at cleaning time.

I think the HEPA filter makes a big difference. Every day I clean a handful of fur off of the OUTSIDE of the thing....the filter cartridge must look scary 'bout now:scared:. It also keeps the air circulating. And yesterday....before I cleaned the 2 day old litter pans.....I shut it off for about 15 minutes and I could smell the pans...not real bad, but noticable. So I would say that the filter works well.

~Jim

Thanks for the advice. I think i will go ahead and buy one. The buns and I share my room so it will be good for both of us.

Thanks again!

Haley

Latest posts

Back