Matted fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allenstacy74

Reaction score
Hi everyone, both of my rabbits are currently moulting and earlier today I noticed that my male has matted fur on his feet, I assume it is from where he is moulting and has been using his litter box.. I have tried to cut down some of the mats and I am becoming worried that I may have to take him to the vet to get them sorted as he does not like being picked up or his feet being touched. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help ease the mats or how to prevent them in the future? I am worried about cutting the mats as I don’t want to cut him by mistake or irritate his feet any more than they probably are. Any help would be amazing!

Is your rabbit a long furred breed and is he generally good at maintaining a clean coat? Feet mats are not super common given a clean environment, plenty of room for the rabbit to exercise, stretch, and groom comfortably, as well as having the physical ability to adequately groom the body (i.e., no arthritic or joint issues).

Where exactly are the mats?

If the mats are severe then they do need to be addressed, and the stress/expense of a vet visit to do it is likely much more preferable than the issues that may come from them being unaddressed and getting worse over time.

Is your rabbit a long furred breed and is he generally good at maintaining a clean coat? Feet mats are not super common given a clean environment, plenty of room for the rabbit to exercise, stretch, and groom comfortably, as well as having the physical ability to adequately groom the body (i.e., no arthritic or joint issues).

Where exactly are the mats?

If the mats are severe then they do need to be addressed, and the stress/expense of a vet visit to do it is likely much more preferable than the issues that may come from them being unaddressed and getting worse over time.
He isn’t exactly long hair but he is very fluffy, he is a mini lop cross (not sure the other breed) but he is very very fluffy, I have had him for 2 years and he has never had this problem before, I groom him etc and he sheds quite well alone, he is completely free roam, he has access to my room and garden at all time (except he’s not allowed in the garden at night while I’m asleep) he plays a lot in his sand and soil dig boxes and for some unknown reason he likes to stand in his water bowls.. I thought that this could be the reason to why they have matted, they are wet and then he’s running around in the garden?.. and the mats are not severe, but I think unattended they may become irritated.. they are kind of on the bottom side of his foot, they aren’t big mats at all, and they kind of look like his normal fur but I was grooming him yesterday and noticed them.

Back