Match Making

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabitha

Reaction score
OK, i just got Tabitha a few days back, but sheis such social bunny and loves everything that moves that is am reallythinking she would benefit from having a bunny friend.

Once i complete her outdoor bunny estate, i was thinking of adopting a friend for her so she always has company.

My question is: "How do you pick a successful friend for her?"

Do i get her a male or female friend?

Should they both be spayed/neutered first?

Does it have to be the same size bunny?

There are so many factors that concern me when considering another bunny.

All suggestions and experiences are appreciated.

My question is: "How do you pick a successful friend for her?"

Do i get her a male or female friend?

It is supposedly easier to bond male/female pairs, then female/female. Male/male is the hardest.

Should they both be spayed/neutered first?

Yes. It cuts down on the hormonal issues. Also, ifyou're doing a male/female pair, they definately have to be.

Does it have to be the same size bunny?

No, but it isn't reccomended to bond with a baby as their personalitieschange when they hit puberty. It might be harder to bond herwith a bunny that is much larger or smaller just because you would haveto make sure they don't hurt eachother, but it should certainly bepossible.

There are so many factors that concern me when considering another bunny.

All suggestions and experiences are appreciated.

Some rescues or shelters will allow you to bring your bunny in to themto select their new bunny buddy. That is definately thebest.

I was told that you basically want them to ignore eachother atfirst. Then you want to introduce then on neutralterritory.

You might want to use the new cage you're constructing as the neutral territory.

Hmmmm!

I just found out yesterday that my neighbor right opposite me has amale bunny that looks just like Tabitha. They keep it in asmall cage in their bedroom and never let it out because they say itbites them too much. They also have a 4 year old and 1 yearold sons that they don't want getting bit. They asked me ifit would consider taking him.

I told them i was new to the bunny keeping and that i wanted toconstruct a proper outdoor enclosure first before i would considertaking in another bunny.

I am almost possitive that their male rabbit in not neutered.Do you think that is why he bits them and charges at them?

He is an adult rabbit, do you think he would stop the aggressive behaviour once he is neutered?

If he was to get along nicely with Tabitha, i would want him to getalong with me too. From what they are saying, he doesn't liketo be bothered by people. Is this maybe just because he ishormonal?

I think it certainly could be because he ishormonal. He may also just be cage aggressive, especially ifthey don't let him out of his cage.

The rabbit may have hormone issues, but in myopionion her children are too young too properly handle arabbit.children this age dont know its a living animal.its verypossible the rabbit has been handled too roughly and is biting out offear.bluebird

Latest posts

Back