Massive dog attack

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just reading this now...

I'm so glad to hear you didn't lose any of your bunnies because of the attack. Unfortunately, even the gentlest ofdogs can have instinct kick in when it comes to small animals...and if there's more than one dog involved (I've found) that the 'pack mentality' takes over and instincts come to the surface very easily.

Many years ago I lost a rabbit to a dog attack. I wasn't home at the time but my neighbor was; and while she didn't see what they were doing, she did see the dogs enter my (dad's) yard and then later leave. They were both relatively small dogs, but the damage they did was pretty awful. One rabbit lost two toes on on front foot and two toes on a hind foot - the dogs bit them off by getting under the cage - and the rabbit who lost his life (a beautiful little agouti ND) had his hind foot completely severed and had to be euthanized. Even though the cages did have resting boards in them, as well as solid flooring in the hutch section,I imagine the rabbits panicked and were running everywhere, giving the dogs the chance to grab the tufts of hair on their feet and pull through the wire. All rabbits were extremely traumatized; however, I found that all the survivors thankfully recovered remarkably well from the shock.

I'm sorry to read that your mom got hurt in all of this...I hope she's doing better now. I guess in looking at it, as traumatic as it was, it could have been much worse. (Thank goodness for small blessings.) As far as treating your bunnies for shock/trauma, I don't know if they would need it now, given you say they are doing better, but I'll pass this on anyway...I've heard that some people will give their rabbits Bach's Rescue Remedy in time of severe trauma. It's a blend of natural flower essences that is used to calm nerves and help relax the body. It was originally designed for human use, but you can also get some for pets. Some people keep it in their bunny medicine kit in case of emergency. :)

Bassetluv wrote:
Just reading this now...

I'm so glad to hear you didn't lose any of your bunnies because of the attack. Unfortunately, even the gentlest ofdogs can have instinct kick in when it comes to small animals...and if there's more than one dog involved (I've found) that the 'pack mentality' takes over and instincts come to the surface very easily.

I totally agree with you on the pack metality thing. I'm sure if it had just been the female rottie she wouldn't have done that as she was very submissive and was just following her "brothers" lead.

I'm sorry to hear about your bunnies. :(

My bunnies are doing better. They seemed to not think it was such a bigdeal as they've all been near dogs before except for the new one and the dogs didn't bug him at all.

We're still going to the rabbit show this weekend. I'll look for some of that remedy stuff the next time i go out. How do you give it to them?

Oh, man, that must have been scary, Rotts are huge dogs. A friend of mine has one, she is probably around a hudred pounds and when she is standing her back is higher than my waistline ( I am 5'4"). She is very nice to people too, but she has killed a six month old lamb once, and she lifted it as though it weighed no more than one fo her dog toys.

I really hope that you guys find the owners, because like Ms Binky and Icequeen said, it really is surprising that none of you got bitten. Even beyond making them pay for your Mom's stitches, they need to be made aware of the seriousness of what happened, and what could have happened. Hopefully, they won't bruch it off as, "Oh, they would never bite a person!"

Well there doing ok.

Plus, we got a new bunny today! He's adorable! He's a broken blue English Lop buck. His name is Mississippi. He's only 3 months old. He's sleeping right now and he had to come with us to our dads house because we don't have his regular food so he must be watched closely and we have fed him ours. He seems to not care what he eats because he's been pigging out. He's slightly on the skinny side and I can feel his ribs so i'm letting him eat because he's supposed to be around 6 pounds at his age and he's only about 4!

He is just like a little puppy dog! He gets into the garbage and everything. He doesn't understand NO. lol.

It's funny, because his cage at the rabbitry, is really protected. lol. The only lock we had was a combination lock so we had to use it to lock his door shut! Someone might think that he's a very special boy for having a padlock on his cage! lol.

It's a good thing he's not at my moms because she doesn't know the combo to the lock. He'll get a different lock this week.

The other bunnies did great. No signs of stress or anything. They seem to be over the dog attack and my NICE dog reassured them today. She's very protective of them and will snap at other dogs who get too close. She also did this with our baby ducks.

Check for Mississippi's blog soon!

Latest posts

Back