Marvin is Sick :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
My little REW Zooh Corner rescue, Marvin, seems to have swollen genitals, an engorged penis or something else, possibly a UTI, stones or possibly a bite (although I don't see one).

That's worrisome enough, but when I picked him up to syringe some oral fluids, he started struggling and it suddenly felt like he had a little alien in his chest, either his heart or a chest muscle started feeling like it was going to pop out of the skin. It was erratic and almost felt like a localized seizure. If it was his heart, yikes.

It did slow him right down. I put him back in his pen (without his gf Sherry so I can monitor poop and pee) and he's in there appearing pretty shell-shocked.

I'm definitely very worried for him right now. I'll be trying to get him to the vet first thing. (The ER doesn't normally treat rabbits, and for good reason -- they don't have a clue).

Send good vibes for my quiet little guy, and if anybody's experienced anything like this before, please let me know!

sas :clover:

Thanks Jim and Nela.

I've rechecked his boy bits and now they look pretty normal, so whatever swelling he had going on down there a few minutes ago is gone, or I was imagining it. Maybe he had been trying to pee or he was passing gas in the region, or it was was his reaction to my poking and prodding, but I do think its something else, either a gas attack (he's molting and that's usually the gut upset time) or he does have a heart issue.

He liked a tummy massage, or he was lethargic enough not to care, but he hopped off into his fort when I let him go, so he is still moving when he wants to.

I haven't given him pain meds. I prepped him for them with some fluids and a little pumpkin because he can't have it on an empty stomach, but I want a better indication re: the problem.

He was fine this morning. He's been pretty low key the past few days because my place is torn apart with stuff everywhere (he has bad eyesite, he hates that), he hasn't been out much, he's molting and its finally hot here (although he and Sherry have the breezy window suite), so ...

Here's hoping its gas.

sas :pray:

Well he seems to be better after simethicone and a tummy massage, so I'm definitely thinking gas.

Still don't know about the alien in the chest tho. :shock:

Here's hoping it was just a weird muscle spasm.

sas :clover:

Poor dude. I bet he was just really scared--I'm sure you've come across bunnies that just cannot stand being picked up, and will almost break their necks to try to escape. Best of luck with the gas treatment.

He snapped right out of it, although he hates me. I go to pet him and he bolts in a blind panic. :( (And blind is the optimum word, I really think he has extremely limited sight. It was always bad, but it seems to be getting worse).

But he gobbled up his pellets and he's acting perfectly normal, so I suspect he had a gas attack, either the molt or the lovely broccoli leaves he got the night before, or a combo of the two.

Still no idea about the chest twitch thing tho. :confused2:

Thanks everyone.

sas

REW definitely have limited sight - as with any albino species. He should see better in soft lighting tho.

Glad he's doing ok.

Latest posts

Back