Marvin and Scooter: The Holywo...er.. San Gabriel Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, this has turned into quite the event! I love Marvin, he looks like a mini Oberon. Weren't you trying to find a way to get him to you when he was in need too? 'Bout time you got a white bunny of your own!

Who is Kevin and when do we get to see him on the Men With Buns calendar?:p

As for Scooter, well it just wouldn't be fitting if he wasn't a trouble maker. You seem to attract those. Hopefully he heals well. I agree with Haley though- call your regular vet when he's in and ask about getting more frequent shots. George's bun especially should be getting that. Scooter might be ok with the one provided that the wound heals ok now.

Are the kitties ok?

Just wanted to mention that you might want the regular vet to look at Scooty's teeth, as when they were looked at previously there were no issues. . . don't want you to waste money or vet trips!

And he very well could end up free run, you never know! He has never had that, so after he gets adjusted, learns the ropes and all, who knows!

I hope things smooth out for you soon.

Oh.... I don't know how the antibiotic is up in BC, but I use the dual-penicillin fairly frequently and never dilute it - it does not sting, the stuff we have. Isn't it weird how drugs differ from country to country?!

I'm pretty upset at the moment because Scooter and I had been getting along so great, he wasfollowing me everywhere,he let me pickhim up, clip his nails, pet him endlessly... and now he HATES me. He looks at me like Ibetrayed him so badly -- which I did. I'abused' him withthevetvisit.He won'tlet me anywhere near him. I know he'll never trust me fully again. In time he'll probably tolerate me, but it won't be the same.

And I really think he's biting because he's been abused (in his mind at least) by people in the past, and because he's an opinionated mini-rex -- 10 fold.He's very much like Dill's 'evil twin' -- although of course not reallyevil at all.

Dill was cheerful and trusting, but would still bite when you did something he didn't like -- the human equivalent would be a verbal 'sharprebuke'. With Scooter,he'smoreangry and distrustful. Whenhe nips for no reason,its more like a 'I expectyou to behave!' Then he'll progress to more nips, like a human shaking their first -- and after firing that warning shot, it's the bites -- like a whack on the bum or a smack across the side of the head. (And if you get him wound up, he'll beat you -- a human abuser). ;)

I think Scooterwas just a relatively normal opinionated little mini-rex like Dill and he was initially with people who didn't understand that, and they disciplined him.

It's oddbut Scooter really is sort of Dill'smirror image 'dark side'.Dill would never nip my skin unless it was through clothes -- he'd search for the clothes and paw at them, didn't seem to like people wearing that weird stuff -- whereas Scooter won't bite unless it's skin. If I'm wearing long pants and footwear, I'm safe. He looks for bare skin and if he doesn't find it, he gives up. If he finds some, ouch! That honestly doesn't bother me. Most don't break skin, and I'm not really afraid of them. (Unlike the Vet). ;)

Marvin isn't making me feel much better. I let him out and walk towards him and he runs away whimpering - loudly - like I'm about to butcher him. :sigh: The pics of him outside in L.A., he looks so happy. He's not that happy here. He's in a pen in the living room, and he just sits on the shelf all day. It takes him a while to come out when I open it.

When he's out, he heads to Scooters pen and fights with himthrough the bars. Not sure who started it, but Marvin heads straight for Scooter's pen butScooter doesn't go to Marvin's when he's out. And then Marvinhangs aroundthefoster girls pen. He spends more time exploring the other bunnies than the house. I think he's going to have to be bonded to somebunny, just not sure who. ETA: I know he'll come around, it's just not much comfort in light of my Scooter betrayal.

Here's Scooter with the Vet. I will put this in the Infirmary thread as well.

(BTW, not too worried about Scooter'steeth, he's eating everything, obviously no issues there, if that changes I'll revisit the situation).

100_5454.jpg

Oh I think Marvin will come right around.. At my office he was hiding under a chair and was timid; at my apartment he was hiding next to the barbeque and wall, but after I sat with him for a good a 30 minutes he came over for alot of head rubs..

I bet poor Marvin is so confused as he was a resident at alex's shelter for an entire year than ripped out of there to be shuttled to SO many different places that he is probably not all that trusting that you are not going to keep him and will pass him along.. Once his routine becomes a routine; I think he will go back to his silly binkying ways..

Scooter being scooter I am sure will forgive you.. If he was just following you around and not biting; I think it can be done again.

Keep hope alive - all is not lost its to soon to give in.

These little guys have only been there since Saturday and so much has happened.... I think they both just need time to adjust and relax and get to know their environment. As prey animals that is so important, and even domestic rabbits respond as prey animals. Once they get to know the "how things are" - and once they get to know you, then they can learn to trust you. THEN you'll be one big happy somewhat bitey fuzzy family!:sunshine::inlove:

Definitely not giving in, and not too worried about Marvin. Just chagrined that my careless use of a broom has caused him so much stress. But yup, he'll be fine. I didn't hurt him, he'll realize that soon enough.

Scooter was hurt, though. They stuck a needle deep in his butt while I was holding him,and considering how long Dill held a grudge when I clippedhis nail too short -- months -- I think I'm in trouble there.

It's funny 'cause he'slunging at me with his teeth apart ready to take a chunk out of me, and I'mshoving a carrot or piece of cauliflower in hismouth, and he's chomping down on it thinking it's me, and he just keeps munching! :laughsmiley:

Too bad I didn't get pics of he and my roommate playing 'baseball'. He loves chasing a softball around. Won't do that now, too wary. But maybe he'll relax enough soon.

But really can't handle the way he's looking at me. They're so expressive. I usually like that, but not in this case.It speaks volumes. :(

Not sure if he's going to be bondable, he really doens't care about other rabbits. Don't want to see Pipp get hurt. May try the usual -- adjoining and/or switching pens, car rides, neutral territory, etc. But tough when you can't handle one of the bunnies. Suggestions welcome there.

sas :bunnynurse:

Give them time. Were you around when I first brought home Fey and Sprite? Talk about scared and angry bunnies! Definitely some prior abuse there too. It might take them a while- Sprite never got over her fear of hands, Marvin might never get over his fear of brooms (my friend's dog never did). But you'll find ways to make them feel more comfortable. For example, what about a hand broom?

I love how you're dealing with Scooter's attacks! Although maybe try something like a willow toy that will last longer? That's similar to how I started playing fetch with Sprite, with her throwing and me fetching. Channel the fear/anger into play. And wear long pants and shoes.;)

As for bonding, I think Sherry's more capable than Pipp, just because I know Pipp is Mocha's Canadian twin.

Oh and an easy fix for buns fighting between cages is to attach hardware cloth to the NIC panels. Cheap, easy, prevents injuries.

Pipp wrote:
I'm pretty upset at the moment because Scooter and I had been getting along so great, he wasfollowing me everywhere,he let me pickhim up, clip his nails, pet him endlessly... and now he HATES me. He looks at me like Ibetrayed him so badly -- which I did. I'abused' him withthevetvisit.He won'tlet me anywhere near him. I know he'll never trust me fully again. In time he'll probably tolerate me, but it won't be the same.

And I really think he's biting because he's been abused (in his mind at least) by people in the past, and because he's an opinionated mini-rex -- 10 fold.He's very much like Dill's 'evil twin' -- although of course not reallyevil at all.

Dill was cheerful and trusting, but would still bite when you did something he didn't like -- the human equivalent would be a verbal 'sharprebuke'. With Scooter,he'smoreangry and distrustful. Whenhe nips for no reason,its more like a 'I expectyou to behave!' Then he'll progress to more nips, like a human shaking their first -- and after firing that warning shot, it's the bites -- like a whack on the bum or a smack across the side of the head. (And if you get him wound up, he'll beat you -- a human abuser). ;)

I think Scooterwas just a relatively normal opinionated little mini-rex like Dill and he was initially with people who didn't understand that, and they disciplined him.

It's oddbut Scooter really is sort of Dill'smirror image 'dark side'.Dill would never nip my skin unless it was through clothes -- he'd search for the clothes and paw at them, didn't seem to like people wearing that weird stuff -- whereas Scooter won't bite unless it's skin. If I'm wearing long pants and footwear, I'm safe. He looks for bare skin and if he doesn't find it, he gives up. If he finds some, ouch! That honestly doesn't bother me. Most don't break skin, and I'm not really afraid of them. (Unlike the Vet). ;)

This sounds so much like Melody when she first arrived. She definitely was not in an abusive home before - at least not by anyone's standards but her own. She was an unholy terror with thecats. Her trick was biting them in the butt especially if they went near her hay, her water bowl, etc. She was very aggressive even with the biggest of our cats.

Once my Dh flicked his hands at her and said ''shoo bunny" when she was yanking on his pants. Her response was to stand on her hind legs, throw back her head and bare her teeth at him.

It took 4 months and bonding with the new boy , Wilbur, for her to start mellowing. Now she is great with us, mostly ignores the cats - an occassional chase. She does not like about 80%of the new humansshe meets.She does adore some visitors like a few gals from HRS and Slavetoabunny,Drunkenbunnyhugger and Emilythestrange.

I think your boy needs some months to adjust. If all else fails, send him to me in Ohio....

Pipp wrote:
Definitely not giving in, and not too worried about Marvin. Just chagrined that my careless use of a broom has caused him so much stress. But yup, he'll be fine. I didn't hurt him, he'll realize that soon enough.

LOL! Pipp I've had my kitty (and her brother that has gone on to the Bridge) since they were 5 weeks old and to this VERY day Tbone is scared to DEATH of the broom! They were NEVER abused and had a wonderful first 5 short weeks with their mom and family - but she and her brother never got over me pulling a broom out of the closet! My bun Baxter! when he sees the broom - attacks it as if its a play toy (had to store it upside down as I'd come home and little broom bits were every where)..

Marvin I think is just stressed out by ANYTHING new - as he was kept at the shelter for an entire year - and so he will be slow to adjust to new things such as freedom, unconditional - atainable (sp?) love from you - so he will be hesitent to trust but will shortly give you the respect and love and TRUST!

Scooter -will come around with your patience and wisdom, but is the unholy teenage terror at the moment - but I personally feel that of the large handful of RO people I've met - this choice of yours was of a "divine intervention" so his life you saved is now your challenge - lol!

Enjoy! and love (and feel) for the challenges you post.. Keep in mind if all goes SOUTH and you can't take another minute of him - he does have a return policy in place and will take him back - all costs paid - no problem and would completely understand. Maybe Dawn the "Scooter bun" whisperer can come over and you both can pull a "tag-team" psychotherapysession with him? :p

I miss them already! Little Marvin is such a sweet heart, we need more pics of him please!

I'd probably give up my cats before giving up Scooter. :hearts

He seems to be forgiving me, the 'stuffing the carrot/cauliflower in his open mouth when he's charging me' trick works quite well. :nod Finally last night I was heading out my door when as usual he charged me, and as usual I bent down to try and pet him (and to have my hand close enough to detach his teeth from my leg if necessary) and he let me pet his nose! Albeit briefly.

But then the next time I went to go out the door, he charged again but this time 'presented' himself to me -- nose down, head out and waiting. I of courseobliged. We had a good 10 minute session. (Much to the chagrin of the people waiting for me). ;)

He's not minding the pen, he's hanging out in there when the door is open. And just now he went back in his carrierto sleep for the first time since I picked it up with him in it to take him to the vet.

AndMarvin binkied on the couch last night and sat for endless pets from me (who he tolerates) and my roommate Ginger (who he likes). I'm hoping maybe he can stay free runin Ginger's room, since he's still heading for Scooter's pen whenever he's out. I keep worrying about him because he looks so lethargic when he's resting -- he looks half dead -- but it's just his way.

Pipp, meanwhile is biting and charging me when I go to leave 'our' room -- as usual when there's a new bunny out there -- but she'salso sleeping with me and cuddling (and waiting for me to wake up, first), so that'sa bonus. ;)

I dostill have an issue with Scooter's ear, btw, but I'll post in the Infirmary thread about that.

All-in-all, a good bunny day!

sas:bunnydance:

And a bunch of binkies from me!

When Pipp posts about the ear, could someone post a link here, so I will get notified?

Also, Pipp, you can email me... I have been working with vets and rabbits for a long time, I might (might!! :) ) be able to help.

A.

Clean up on a few posts I tried to but couldn't respond to before...

ZoohCorner wrote:
My first thought was hey, send Kevin!! And YES! He'd be such a great addition to the Men With Buns calendar. I'll order five! :love:

seniorcats wrote:
This sounds so much like Melody when she first arrived.
LOL! I was thinking 'Melody' from the get-go. Can you imagine these guys bonded? :scared: Good to know there's hope for the cats.Dill, Sherry and Pippallgo after them.Dill and Sherry had their little 'ambush' game to scare them.Pipp will circle around and go for their stomachs from behind :shock:-- so I thought I was seeing the worst of it. But Scooter is 10-fold. A tornado of teeth and feet launched at their heads. And he HUNTS them. Search and destroy. No provocation whatsoever.

Can I send you the cats? :biggrin2:

sas :juggle

Latest posts

Back