Marvin and Scooter: The Holywo...er.. San Gabriel Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
This is continued from this thread:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=37540&forum_id=7&jump_to=499849#p499849

Sorry I couldn't update sooner... I really did get car sick (on top of a messed up ankle that's driving me nuts), it's been hard to even get the most pressing stuff done like pen set ups, cage building, feeding, breaking up fights and bleeding.

And most annoyingly, computer issues. :crash (I'm stuck using my old computer, ain't working). Both posting and answering MSN has been a problem. (I'm actually going to keep saving this post as I write it just so I know it will be here, so keep watching for the edits!)

Stand by for the story! (I even created a whole new forum for it).

Oh Pipp thats just great this forum.. I can only imagine how busy you are/have been and will be.. Hope the puter stops giving you grief so that we can keep up with M&S stories. :D

FOR NOW, here are some Pre-Vancouver pics!

Marvin takes time to smell (and taste) the flowers (and trees).
Marvin10001.jpg

Marvin says HELLO to Georgie and Fezwick (he later hopped right into their room!).
Marvin30001.jpg

Marvin is a photogenic little man!
Marvin20001.jpg

Scooter escapes! (from the rug in the tub, which he pulled down on top of his own little self)
ScooterTub10001.jpg

Scooter peeks at me from the tub
ScooterTub20001.jpg

Scooter ate right through his basket (it is wrapped around him) and continued to eat his greens!
ScooterRing0001.jpg

Kevin will miss Scooter.
KevinScooter0001.jpg

Crates are ready to go.
CrateToGo0001.jpg

Kevin & Scooter and Julie & Marvin - ready for the journey.
KevinJulie0001.jpg

Oh my - I am in love with Marvin....if I had been closer I would have wanted to adopt him in a heartbeat...

Oh wait - I'm getting my own REW in a bit.

Anyway - I love them both but I adore Marvin for some reason...

Oh yes Marvin is such a chill/loving binkying bun! I had 4 employees sitting with him for a good part of the early afternoon and you would think they had NEVER seen a bun - and I bring my BAXTER! all the time! Marvin can woo buns or humans, he has charisma!:inlove:

The trip from the top...

100_5393.jpg

I took the Skytrain to meet April and her awesome bf Vincent...Note all the stairs -- and this after a nine-block walk (I just missed the bus) to the station ona very sore ankle... but anything for the bunnies. ;)

100_5399.jpg

The view from the train. It was about a 20 minutes ride.

100_5405.jpg

And then... I met April and Vince, both for the first time in front of Futureshop and the Metrotowm mall. (We've talked on the phone and I've dropped by her work right and just missed her). She's camera shy --- I 've got a couple of great pics of her (she's drop-dead gorgeous) but I'll have to wait and ask to put them here. (Meanwhile, here's the 'camera shy' shot). ;)

100_5407.jpg

100_5418.jpg

Off we went to the airport -- and as mentioned, it was quite the run-a-round. Ended up at two different terminals (paperwork atthe first one, take the paperwork to a second one for Customs then back to the first one again), and then a $45 extra charge I wasn't expecting (from the airport, not even Customs!) in spite of making at least three phone calls to all the departments and officials (even confirming with senior management) exactly what the drill would be and how much it would cost -- and this on top of Julie's amazingly efficient research/itinerary/info sheets. Anyhoo, while I was whining at the agent (who really didn't care but he was kinda cute), the brought the bunnies out when I wasn't looking! When I finally did look around, there they were with April and Vince were oohing and ahhing away. :)

100_5404.jpg

Then it was off to get hay... supposed to be a quick trip, but I get motion-sick and I can't read in a car so poor Vince was on his own (well, with April and Google maps -- starting from the wrong location -- to work from). After an awful lot of driving and swerving and stops and starts and u-turns, pretty sureI left my stomach somewhere between Metrotown and 112th street. :yuck

I didn't have any brainpower left to pull out the camera at the hay place(s) --- we went to afeed store and a barn --but you can see it packed in thevan. That's about300 pounds of the stuff. :shock: Total price was under$50. :thumbup Also picked up some wood pellte litter -- $4.25 a bag (price just went up), :X got nine bags.

100_5420-1.jpg

100_5411.jpg

Then it wasoff to Dawn's (Aurora369) and Ryan's (Beatryder) to show off the bunnies and drop offsomepellets and litter. Dawn was 'the bunny whisperer'. I wouldn't have stuck MY hand in Scooter's taxi -- especially after Julie told me she was sittingwith her feet up for self-protection when he was running around her office. :shock: (And that was BEFORE Alex told me about him chasing her into the bathtub!! :shock::shock: I think she was waiting for him to land in Vancouver before springing that one on me). :biggrin2:

So... how was he at my place you ask...

Suffice to say that maybe I shouldstick a stamp on him and send him to Dawn's. :p

The'home' story is next...

:shock2: There they are! They look just like they do in America!

:yes:It is so cool to see them on the other side there... We are so happy and so thankful to everyone who made this possible: Julie :bunnyhug:, Pipp :bunnyhug:, April :bunnyhug:& Vince :bunnyhug:!
:thanks:

Good thing my carsick self wasn't there. I would have been passed out on the side of the road LONG before the intrepid Pipp. I even get carsick when I drive myself, sometimes. :yuck (I felt a little faint just reading about all the turns and swerves and bumps.... :cry2

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

Im so happy to hear everything worked out so well! They are two very lucky (and very handsome!) bunnies.

That hay looks great too- Im jealous!lol

Great work everyone!

We have such amazing members here that make this sort of thing possible :)

This is awesome, I'm so happy for you Pipp! A big "WELL DONE" for all of you that made this possible, it was really amazing to follow the thread and watch everything come together.

I was too busy struggling with the 120 pound bale of hay getting it out of the truck and up the steps with poor VIncent to take any pics. (Vinceby that time was getting quite antsy, turns out he had an important errand to run back in Burnaby, we made him miss it!).:(And there was no time for themtostick around to meet and greet my bunnies,see the two newbies get settled and indulge in a piece of cake to thank them for their HUGE effort in all of this...

So ... :thanks:Andsorry guys, and I can't thank you enough!!! (I'm sure Vincent agrees!!!) :laughsmiley:

I didn't have anything at home set up, other than shipping Sherry off to bunny boot camp -- aka my upstairs neighbour's place.I was waiting to see who 'wanted' to settle where. I ended up setting upan x-pen I borrowed from Dawn next to my foster bunny pen for Marvin -- who was a bit upset -- and letting Scooter have run of the house, seeing as that was always the intention.

Big mistake there.

100_5429.jpg

100_5441.jpg

100_5445.jpg

Marvin was a happy bunny -- at least until I made the mistake of using a broom a couple of feet away fromhimwhen I switched the x-pen for a quickly (and not well) built NIC cage again next to the fosters. Poor little guy flipped right out! He was running and wimpering (loudly), totally panicked. He actually didn't eat or poop after that for at least 12 hours. :shock: I felt terrible!

But he's good now. Unfortunately he'sbeen totally smitten with Lisa and Peaches, the foster girls. I really don't want THATbonding, and I'm sureneither does the rescue. (They bring two and get back three. Lovely).

Scooter, as you can see, isn't quite so smitten -- they got the bunny butt -- but at least he didn't tryand kill them.

Unlike the cats and humans. :no::thud:

Fair warning, this isn't all a cute, heartwarming rescue story. We have some real issues to resolve here.

100_5427.jpg

I had no problem with Scooter. After seeing Dawn emerge unscathed, I heppily petted his nose and head and he happily enjoyed it. He would turn around and nip for whatever reason -- definitely needs anger management courses as Julie said -- but sometimes it's just to nip. Part of the conversation.I find that endearing. Painful, but endearing. :love:

But I'm not the cats.

100_5446.jpg

It started off well. Scooter hopped on overSkye, she's a tiny cat, he's not a big bunny. She didn'tmind him being up close and personal at all. She likes my bunnies, she wants to be friends withthem -- unlike Putty, who ignores them and Houli who hates them. Scooterdid get too 'in her face' though and after a bit she did hiss and half-heartedly swat.

100_5433.jpg

(Ignore the half-painted floor).

He moved on to Putty and Houli, my blind 19 year old and her 18 year old daughter, whowere sleeping in the kitchen. At one point he hopped right on top of Puttyon his way to check out what was inside the open cupboard. The cats were amazing, they just ignored him.

But then it fell apart. :shock::panic:

100_5432.jpg

100_5436.jpg

100_5437.jpg

The progression of these pics is as follows -- he moves in, cats ignore him. He finds the base ofHouli's tail... and bites. Hard. A very surprised cat takes off with a mini-rex hanging off her tail.

And it got way worse.

At one point I wasin my entrance way when I heard what sounded like someone killing a cat outside, but when I went out on my porch,the sound was farther away. It was coming from inside the house! It was Scooter attackingpoor old blind Putty. :(

This time jumping right at her face and neck. :scared:

So. Marvin has a nice NIC cage set up to next to the fosters, and Scooter is in the x-pen.He was initially disappointed after being free-run all day, but he seems to have resigned himself to it.

The cats weren't the only problem. In three years of having bunnies allowed out on my porch, nobody has ever tried to squeeze through the railings and jump off the porch. Scooter managed to zip out the front door when somebody opened it during his explorations and within two minutes of being out there has squeezed through the railing and on to a slippery awning over the basement tenant's window. Had there not been a rug hanging over the balcony giving him some traction to get back up, not sure what would have happened, but his only way out would have been dropping eight feet or so to the ground. He came back up with much effort -- and then did it again! :devil

And one of the first things he did was to try and chew the LIVE wire going into the base of the floor lamp. There's a half inch section that wasn't covered by the wire protector,and he went for that. :nerves1

This bunny lives dangerously!

So now I'm in a quandry. We were really bonding well when he was running aound. The spot he pickedout of many was the one right outside my door. He was following me around like a puppy. And as long as you watched carefully while petting him, he was up for endless pets and ear rubs, and he was getting them. He let me pick him up, didn't even get mad. We were getting along famously.

I honestly don't mindbeing attacked by a 3 lb bunny.It doesn't scare me. Ioutweigh him. and bites and nips are pretty minor compared to the joy. And I can do better bunny-proofing.

My cats are another story -- especially when he's really doing damage and the cats are all special needs -- Putty isblind and small, Houli has all kinds of health issuesandshe was already the target -- in a playful way -- with Dill and Sherry (I think she hissed at them and they never forgave her).Skye is partially paralysed, she can't run away. For those reasons as well, it's very difficult to keep them in one area away from the bunnies. They need access to the litter box, Houli is allowed outside (the exercise was deemed more important than the risk). It's not fair to keep them cooped up in the kitchen, nor is it easy.

But Scooter made great progress in just one day without being caged or penned. I honestly think he'll be an awesome, sociable (but opinionated) rabbit in not much time if he's allowed be the free-run bunny he really needs to be.

The best case scenario? Bond him with Pipp and have him live in my cat-free room. (I'll have towear long pants and shoes instead of shorts and bare feet). But that's going to be onetough bonding. :sigh:

Pipp btw is furious about the new buns, as usual, but she very kindly hasn't started a poop fest. She's just biting my ankles when I go to leave the room.:ph34r2

And Sherry at some point has to come back downstairs. Scooter doens't seem to be much of a bunny bunny, have my doubts about abonding there, and now that brings up the issue of penningfree-run Sherry if they do bond. But I guess that's the lesser of the worries. I just really hate 'downgrading' a bunny's life.

Definitely a dilema. :ponder:

More later ...

sas :help

I miss Marvin so much! He was definitely my kind of guy <3 I'm so sorry about your car sickness - I felt really bad =[

It's Vince's fault he got grouchy at the end- I *repeatedly* told him to pick up his car over the week, especially on Friday when he literally sat at home for 7 hours doing nothing! And he should've known when his mechanic was going to close on Saturday (Not to mention he completely forgot about his car until we were heading to Tysol!) ...Gah.. Boys :pullhair:

It was so hard carrying the hay back into our house! Precious did something quite funny - as we were dragging it back in, she jumped onto the hay and started eating it!

I can't wait to come over soon and officially meet everyone this time! BTW, the bunny Pipp is ADORABLE in real life. I love her!

Hey April, Vince was a prince!!

Can I put that pic of you up now? (It's a good one!)

And to continue with the Scooter (and Marvin) story, I have to take Scooter to the vet. :shock: He was scratching his ears when he first arrived so I didn't really notice before, but he has a cat bite on the outside of his ear.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=37989&forum_id=16

Just clipped his nails and washed the ear with betadine. He was such a good little boy!! :inlove:

I hope he's okay.

sas :nerves1

Im so sorry to hear Scooter isnt doing so well with the cats. I wonder if he's very scared of them and is attacking preemtively? I have a bun who does that with other bunnies.

For now, I would definitely section him off in an area where the cats dont have direct contact with him. Maybe an NIC condo with a top? I would think they might jump in the xpen..

I would love to see Scooter and Pipp together- do you think shed go for it?

Keep us posted- I hope today is better than yesterday :(

He's eating, pooping, hopping around. The ear isn't noticible unless you feel that it's hot. Doubt it will be an issue, I've already put anitceptic on it, not looking infected or anything, but I don't take chances with cat bites, the vet may suggest antibiotics as well. And I want a thorough exam to make sure there aren't any more nicks.

I'm amazed the cat actually managed to get in a lick. Scootermakes a beeline for the cats and jumps at their heads and bites.They haven't fought back, they just run like h*ll. I've nipped them all in the bud, mind you.

This time I made the mistake of walking into another area thinking Scooter was too far away from the cat room to get there before I walked back, but noooo... he must have booted it from a lying contentedly in the living room tothe old cat's head. I caught the tail end, certainly looked like Scooter was winning. He stayed on her allthe way across the room. I checked the cat over first.

I'ma bit concerned that both Scooter and Marvin have beenshaking their heads and ears a lot more than normal for my other rabbits.Marvin's one ear has been partially down since they arrived, have to check the pics to see if its normally like that.

But must run, off to the vet!

sas :run:

Poor Scooter and poor kitties.

Yikes. Augh. Er...I did mention rather emphatically that he was aggressive and might not be easy to bond. Though I hadn't thought of him attacking cats? Little jerk. Cute little jerk.

You can use revolution on them if you think they have ear mites. Scooter was treated when he arrived at our place, and I have never noticed any head shaking on him. Marvin was treated in late June. I did not notice any head shaking here or at the shelter, but I didn't observe him for a long period of time.

Revolution: You can use the puppy/kitten vials and give the average sized rabbit the full vial once a month (or every 2 weeks for three doses, if heavy infestation). (In case you didn't already know this!) (Can you get Revolution? )

Thank you much for the update. It sounded kinda scary from over here.... but I am sure you can deal and have probably dealt with worse!

I always say it, even though we have a house full: darn RABBITS:banghead

Take care... "Mind The Mouth" :whistling

Just wanted to mention the head shaking could be from the ear pressure from the flight. Id keep an eye on them to make sure an inner ear infection doesnt develop (which has been known to happen after a long flight). But for right now I would assume its the ear pressure or something if theyre both doing it (and werent doing it when they were in the US).

Oh poor Pipp and Scooter.. Yes Pipp - Scooter looks cute and may behave when being watched closely but I tell this little guy is a prankster and thinks he is "top-dog" apparently even over cats.. Remember he is the the one that couldn't be adopted as he was SO aggressive. He really needs to be separated from all others and worked with daily; DO NOT let him out with your cats and/or any other buns until he knows you and the other buns through bars - I really can't make that any clearer. Once he settles in and you get him settled down - then perhaps you can try to bond w/Pipp; perhaps as she is Queen Bee she will appreciate a King Boy - lol!

And for the ear shaking - none of that was going on here and both my cat and bun were/are treated for fleas/earmites with revolution so unless there was another aminal in cargo with them that had fleas/mites Idon't think that is it..-

so perhaps it was the flight that is giving the itch the ear..

Man you got your hands full with this little fire-cracker - lol; but you can tell he has it in him to learn and do the right thing!

What a loooong day!

The trip started out badly -- wrong directions left and right (heh!) from the bus drivers. I was trying to get to an awkward spot to pick up George's Fuzzy. I think I took five buses and walked 10 blocks just to get there. :yawn: (Did I mention I get motion-sick? Especially on stinky busses? :yuck)

Worse, ever stop was at a major construction site. Poor Scooter, the bus drivers would see me hauling the pet carrier and 'assist' me by lowering the bus with their spiffy hydraulics, but the noiseand blowing air was so loud,would have beenfar easier and lessstressful to lift my foot up six inches. Yeah,thanks anyway. :rollseyes

Anyhoo, found George, he didn't like the carrier I brought for Fuzzy much but he let me take her. So me and two bunnies back on the busses. Got to the vet's office 45 minutes late. :( The main vet didn't bother coming in -- he was going to be there at noon, but decided to take the day off when I phoned to say I'd be late. Got the 'new guy'.

He's going to need some workto get him up to 'rabbit savvy' status, but he took driection well. ;)

Scooter: His ear is pretty thick and hot and he has a slight temperature, but no signs of an abscess although the vet suspects and internal bruise. I don't think he got much of a going over, I shouldn't have told the Vet he was aggressive! He was definitely wary.

But Scoots was a gentleman -- other than almost immediately pooping all over the table, although I'm sure he was just helping with diagnostics. ;) He even jumped on the scale to get himself weighed. Never even started to nip.

He got a shot of antibiotics -- 25 ml of Longisil. Netsite says it's Penicillin G Benzathine and Penicillin G Procaine. (Is thatbicillin?).That should be all he needs.

Happy to report that he's eating hay and he just lunged at me, so he's over the trauma.(And btw, the vetgave him the shot straight, and I know that stuff stings. And I was the one who had to hold him, so I'm surehe thinks it was me abusing him). :(

Fuzzy's abscess is probably in her lip, not her tooth, so she got the same shot. The vet's did charge for the visit, they would have considered treating her for no charge if it was life-threatening. (At least they gave me 30 days to pay). Same deal with her -- if it's not gone in a week, George will have to get her back there.

Some bad news about Scooter's teeth, though -- they're a mess. Malocclusion, possible spurs, etc.. :sigh:

:eek:hwell:

I'd better get back to work to support this little guy. :biggrin2: He is a keeper.:hearts: Just maybe not the free-run bun I'd love him to be.

I'll post a pic or two from the vet's office.

sas :camera

Glad to hear everybun is ok! Sorry you had such a stressful day :(

Yes, Longisil is the same as Bicillin if its 150k PenG Procaine and 150k PenG Benzathine (the info I just looked up on the web says it is). My only concern is that Bicillin only stays in the blood for about 48 hours. So it will be effective if theres an infection/abscess but, like any antibiotic, should be given for at least around 10 days to avoid simply creating a resistence. In other words, Im pretty sure its ineffective if only given once. :(Might want to call the vet and ask their opinion on that one.

Latest posts

Back