Many pet rabbits worse off than battery rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Animal Welfare law demands that rabbits have sufficient room in their environment but sadly doesn't specify how much, though we are working with DEFRA to try to have dimensions put in place for pet rabbits - which one would hope would have a knock-on effect for meat rabbits too.

RWAF, Blue Cross and the RSPCA all recommend a minimum hutch size of 6ftx2ftx2ft with an attached run. RWAF recommends that the run be 8ft and that the rabbits have permanent access to it. We also recommend that they have partnership with another rabbit, so those dimensions would relate to the space requirement for a pair.

Our recommendations are all clearly stated here http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

At present we are focusing on rabbits kept outdoors. This is the most common environment in this country. We hope (but realise that it isn't always the case) that indoor rabbits wouldn't be confined to a cage at all times, but would have exercise time in the home, possibly with a dedicated penned-off area. Since they would be in the house (few UK homes have basements), they would be more in the owners' awareness and line of sight than rabbits that live outdoors.

rabbitgeek wrote:
Do the laws in UK pertain to adult rabbits only?

Because if a female has a litter of l0 then they would suddenly require a cage 10 times bigger wouldn't it?

Just wondering.
There are separate space requirements for does with litters under 5 weeks, under 12 week, for weaned babies etc. These are also the "absolute minimum" requirements (there words not mine) rather than "recommended" sizes. The quoted floor areas are for commercially farmed rabbits.
http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/welfare/onfarm/othersps/rabcode.htm#13

The guidelines for pet rabbits are less specific as they are expressed in terms of hops and the ability to express normal behaviour, but are generally conconsidered by welfare orgs to be 6'x2' hutch or equivalent (eg a 4'x3' dog crate indoors) plus an exercise run 6'x4' or exercise time in the house.

In the UK keeping bunnies outside is quite common, which would be in the style of the wooden hutches pictured (though hopefully much larger!). Indoors we'd use a cage (plastic bottom/mesh top) like you get in the US although they are generally considered too small by the more rabbit savvy of owners.

I'm talking pet rabbits here, not breeders which tend to use blocks of hutches with a tendency to be smaller than pet owners although there are breeders with 6-8' plus hutches. The BRC (equivalent to ARBA) I think recommend a 3'x2' as only appropriate for Netherlands, though I'm not sure if that's a formal guideline and it might have gone up.

One major difference that I've seen of the UK hutches are the solid floors. USA more commonly uses welded wire mesh floors to let the waste fall through. UK requires solid floors.

I have pictures of Continental Giants in British style hutches that are large and have solid floors.

The advantage to solid floors is less likely to develop sore hocks (foot sores) with solid floors but it is more labor intensive since it has to be cleaned daily to remove soiled bedding. Usually straw appears to be used as bedding.

Wire floors on the other hand allow droppings and urine to fall away from the rabbit but can be tough on a rabbits feet. Use of removable resting boards can reduce problems with sore hocks.

Have a good day!

That's right rabbitgeek wrote:
One major difference that I've seen of the UK hutches are the solid floors. USA more commonly uses welded wire mesh floors to let the waste fall through. UK requires solid floors.

I have pictures of Continental Giants in British style hutches that are large and have solid floors.

The advantage to solid floors is less likely to develop sore hocks (foot sores) with solid floors but it is more labor intensive since it has to be cleaned daily to remove soiled bedding. Usually straw appears to be used as bedding.

Wire floors on the other hand allow droppings and urine to fall away from the rabbit but can be tough on a rabbits feet. Use of removable resting boards can reduce problems with sore hocks.

Have a good day!

That's right, UK hutches have solid floors, often plywood and owners need to clean them regularly, preferably daily. A good covering of fresh, dustfree straw is a great way to minimise the chore and if the rabbit is litter trained, all the better, as a litter tray or litter area can easily be provided in a larger hutch.

This is part of the commitment of good rabbit ownership, but sadly not done by all owners, which is part of the message we're putting across with the press release that starts this thread. It isn't only about space to move around and companionship, but also about the care the rabbits receive from their owners.

Back