Many, Many 'Pets' Need Homes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dootsmom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! On Tuesday night, I recieved a callfrom a woman that I had met about 6 months ago in a Antique Shop. Ihave known the owners of the Shop for many years and knowing that I aminvolved with Rabbit Rescues, they gave her my number. It's a longstory...here's the "nitty-gritty: she has 8 rabbits, 16 cats, 4ferrets, and 2 degus that have to go...ASAP. I am going to try to getto her place and see what's going on.... She is keeping 4 cats, 1 ortwo dogs, the spider, 1 ferret, 2 GP's, and the dove. 5 or 6 of thedogs are being returned to the shelters that she got them from. Ugh! Ihave agreed to take the degus. I can take 1 or 2 of the rabbits (Ialready have 12!). She has 2 "special needs" children and her husbandis now partially disabled. DYFS is involved. She has a choice...theanimals, or her children. I will have to see both her rabbit "set-up"and the other animals before I can tell you more. I will keep youposted. Charlotte

wow good luck finding homes. I am in a sitationmyself where i could move to a a place and the rent and bills would beat what i pay for rent here. We are having a hard time. Butif i really want to take it then i have to find a home from my dog bluesince she is over 25 lbs. Don't think i can do that, unlessit came to no home at all.

Cristy

DG1.jpg

Looks like a gerbil

LOL, i have experience with Degus as our Siobhanwanted one real bad before she got Cammie and ihave been ledto beleive that they are an unusual hybrid of Chinchillas and Gerbils,although the latest generic research does seem to suggest that it isnot a rodent at all, but a lagomorph and therefore more closely akin torabbits, hares, and pikas.

And for those who are interested here is a little history.

Degus were transported to Europe andNorth America from Chile, where they live from the West Coast to theAndy Mountains. The primary reason for this transportation was that theanimals were used in laboratories to test diabetes on them. They wereused because of their lacking ability to digest sugar. In Europe, degusare available in most countries. In America, however, they are lessoften found in pet shops, caused by the import restriction placed onthe species. In the Czech republic, you can buy them in some pet shopsand the price is between 150 to 200 crowns.

Thanks for that very erudite and succinctsynopsus of degus history, Ryan. I had never heard of themand your post just reinforces my contention that we all haveso much we can learn from one another here on an intercontinental basis.

Once again, appreciate your time and knowledge.

Buck

I rescued a pair of them from a pet shop, lastyear. Cute, playful little things! Very active and verbal! There isn'tmuch info on their upkeep on the internet. I haven't found any books,either. If their teeth are orangy, they are reasonably healthy! Theones I got yesterday have greyish teeth. A good diet will fix this. Ihave found that they do require some sugars. Mine were going bald andthe Degu Forum had no answers. Mine were amongst many. Once Iintroduced apples and gave them a richer Chinchilla/GP mix their furgrew back and they are much healthier (orange teeth). I also give minekale, lettuce, carrots, and raisins....basically, what the rabbits get.They do not tell you about their potty habits on the internet. They are"sprayers". They prefer to pee outside of their cage, through thebars...not neat, at all (for us). You have to watch out for their tailsand never try to catch them by grabbing it as you'll have a bloodystump in your hands and, they will have escaped. Great defense in thewild! No, it doesn't grow back! Otherwise, they make interesting andamusing pets. They require a lot of room and, at least, a three tieredcage with a huge wheel. Charlotte

Update....I took three of the rabbits. A male(neutered) Rex mix and his bonded mate....a Himalayan mix (looks like).I also took their 1 remaining offspring (happened before his neuter!).She has a little "pug" nose and is not only adorable, she is sweet andloves to be petted. The remaining 5 rabbits are all healthy (well fed),except for one. This one is very old and I think it's time has come.Their hutches are too small, in my opinion. She had cleaned under thehutches but, has not gotten around to the insides....yuck, I saw poopiles that are 4 inches high (no hay). The bonded pair were in a 32inch hutch. They are now in an 8 foot hutch. They actually did binkiesin there! I guess they are happier now. They are even playing with thetoys! The degus cage was filthy...took an hour to clean. Their new dietwill make them healthy. She didn't let me in the house to see the catsor the ferrets. Outside, there were mounds of garbage bags...they arecleaning, like crazy. I can only imagine what the inside looks like!Charlotte

Jeez! That sounds like it was a realdisaster area! I wonder what happened for it to be thatway????? I'm so glad that you were able to step in and dosomething!

- Dolores

What a bunch of Cute bunnies. The gray one lookslike someone shaved him though. Or is that just the type of fur hehas?? I dont know how you can take care of so many bunnies.but its cool you do.

Cristy

Socks looks like he has rex fur... he could be ablue rex? Not sure, he just looks the same type as ourHenry.

They're all gorgeous though! I hope the other animals areokay. I hate seeing a situation like that. I don'tunderstand it when people take on that many animals. Myfriend has 6 dogs and none of them get the attention theyneed.

D- Thanks for sharing your buns withus. Socks and Puddle Duck are beautiful! Of coursethe rest are beautiful too. I love the picture where they areall gathered around for the papaya tablets. Do they just eatthem right out of your hand? What dosage do you use, and whatbrand do you use? I know those buns will have a good home nowto bad you could not take them all. :D Beckie

Back