Manny's first vet visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theilian

Reaction score
This is going to be my first visit to vet, and Iam wondering what I should do once there. Is there some test that Imust do? Does abunny need immunization like dogs and cats?What should I ask to vets?

Thank you.

you should start writing down questions now toask and bring them. even if they seem random, the vet should be willingto answer all of them and give you a little extra time to yourappointment if you have lots.

i saw dr sager for the first time a few days after angie came home withme. he was on the RHS vet list and he was very nice and took time toanswer my endless questions. he even gave me a small sample of timothyhay from oxbow so i could start switching from the (not so fresh)alfalfa the pet store gave me that same day.

Hi theilian,

Buck's right that immunization shots are not needed on a rabbit inAmerica, but they are necessary in England and Australia.

I'd have the vet take do a blood test tosee if the symptomsare coming from Pasturella. I'd have him/her do a full examon the little one. Checking the weight, eyes, ears, belly,etc. Find out how long it will take to get the test resultsback and what you can do in the meantime for the little one.Don't be afraid to ask any questions or voice your concerns until youget an answer. Don't let the vet rush you off without feelingthat you've had your questions answered to the best of theirability. I'd find out what the vet thinks of the pellet feedyour giving, be ready to tell him of any changes in environment,routine, diet, or behavior. If the doctor won't treat himuntil the test comes back, find out what you can do for him in themeantime to alleviate or relieve the symptoms.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Keep us posted as to what happens today, theilian!

-Carolyn

Manny went to a vet today.

She must have 6th sense. Usually when I open her cage door for freetime, she comes out right away. Buttoday, she won't come outso I had to pick her up. :)

I had no traveling cage, so I had to put her in a large box on the way.Bad decision. She was so scared by the tripthat I've neverseen her eye so big as she sat there crouched trembling. :(

Once at the vet, after the inevitable waiting, a vet came in to examineManny. Now I know that Manny is a girl and maybe 3 months old (thoughthe vet said she seemed to be girl as if there is possibility that shecould be boy). Manny's teethare said tobe fine(they better be after all that chewing). Temperature is normal. Herclaws need to be trimmed.

But yes, Manny seems to have respiratory infection. I asked about bloodtest, but the vet said that it is unreliable and that Manny is toosmall to draw blood. He suggested that maybe I should do that at thetime of spaying. I asked about Pasteurella, and the vet said it is apossibility. Manny may even have respiratory condition all her life. :(

The vet prescribed pencillin to be injected every other day for 3weeks. (I'm too squeamish to trim her claws and I'm supposed to put aneedle into her body :shock:)

I don't know what to think of the vet. His clinic was listed in both House Rabbit Society and Bunny Bunch listing.

After shelling out $90, Manny better get better.

PS: Yesterday even Kobe the guinea pig began sneezing.:(Should I separate her from Kika the mom-to-be? Should Igive Kobe the penicillin shot?

Hi theilian,

I would separate Manny from Kika and Kobe as respiratory infections arecontagious to other rabbits, but not sure how it relates to guinea pigs.

I wouldn't give Kika and Kobe the same medication as Manny without checking with the vet.

You and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers.

-Carolyn

P.S. Rabbits can live with Pasturella if they're given medication. I'mnot sure that they're chances are very good without the medication. Youdo have to be careful because although Manny's symptoms may subside, hestill could carry it to other animals.

Personally, I don't recommend treatment with PennG until a pathogen has been identified with a blood test, but if abacterial infection is suspected, then treatment mustcommence. Penn G is good for short term treatment.If this condition is chronic, your vet may want to go with anantibiotic better suited for long term treatment such asBaytril.

Bunn should be separated from other rabbits and especially guineapigs. Bordatella (which often infects rabbits in conjunctionwith Pasteurella) can be fatal to guinea pigs. Is your cavy(guinea pig) on additional vitaminC?Vaporub can be used to help clear thenasal passages. Any penicillin product is considered *unsafe*for cavies, but Baytril can be used. Cavies can succumb veryquickly to a respiratory infection and this will need to be treatedASAP.

Did the vet test Manny for parasites? Infestation is common in rabbits with stressed immune systems.

Pam

I tried to inject penicillin to Manny yesterday. I don't think it got through. I'm just too squeamish with needle.

Has anyone else did subcutaneous injection with rabbit? Am I supposed to feel something when it piereces skin?

Also I just remembered that Manny once had orange colored mess on her front paws. Any idea?

Latest posts

Back