Manna Pro and the smell test

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Bay Poo

Reaction score
As first time rabbit owners we are learning new things every day, many by trial and error. When we bought our first bag of Manna Pro rabbit pellets at the Tractor Supply, the only size they had was 50 lbs…so we bought one for our 2 lb rabbit. Naturally we checked the bag for an expiration date, and were surprised to find none. "Oh, I guess rabbit pellets don't expire then! Well, they must only put grass and stuff in here and grass doesn't expire right?" WRONG.

We learned the hard way, when the pellets started to stink, and we knew something was wrong. The back of the bag had a warning that went something like this: if pellets develop a strong odor, do not feed as this may result in illness or death. WHAT?!?! Is that their version of an expiration date…the smell test? Okay, maybe we just happened to pick up a bag that wasn't labeled with an expiration date by mistake.

So we went back to the Tractor Supply to buy a fresh bag of pellets and were determined to find one that had an expiration date. Of ten bags stacked on top of each other, none had one. The other brands of pellets all had them, but for the life of me I just could not find one on the Manna Pro. So my question is, am I supposed to automatically know the life of rabbit pellets without being given an expiration date? Or do I have to do the smell test every day to make sure they are still good?

Just to let everyone know, this happened a week ago and the bunnies are perfectly fine despite my noobishness concerning rabbit pellets :D

Latest posts

Back