Mann Pro Users

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murph72

Reaction score
I feed my rabbits Manna Pro and have noticed a couple of my does a few months ago starting to get red urine. I did not change what they are fed, so I assumed it was probably an additive change in the pellets. My rabbits have all gotten over this except one doe that continues to have colored urine. I juststarted changingher pellets to another brand today to see if I see a difference. I realize it's not a medical problem per se, but since she is lighter in color it is leaving a stain on her bum. I also saw this in some of my kits in a couple of litters...oddly not all the kits in the same litters. It's really weird how some digest it and others pass it out in colored urine.

Has anyone else that uses Manna Pro pellets seen this in their rabbits?

I use MannaPro and haven't noticed it. Mine all appear to have 'normal' urine. I haven't noticed any difference in Abbys since I switched her over about 2 weeks after I got her. She was on wal-mart feed before.

Hmm, I thought red urine was a sign of high protein in the food? Are you using the 18% for nursing does and kits? I am, and the urine is for the most part yellow, although rabbit urine can vary in color, up to orange and red. I like the Manna Pro, have had very good results with it.

Too much calcium or protein can cause red urine. Calcium can be an issue when too much alfalfa (or alfalfa pellets) are fed. So I always suggest countering alfalfa-based pellets with daily timothy hay. And protein amounts can be seen on the bag. I'd use around 16% protein for dry does and bucks.

I double checked the bag to be sure and this is what it says:

Manna Pro "Pro Formula": 16% min Protein and .75% min Calcium

To my knowledge, if the percentages are right it shouldn't be a problem. I can't figure out why this one doe is having issues and none of the others are. Also, why are some kits having the same red urine and others aren't? It baffles me.

I did switch that one doe's food...or at least I'm trying. It seems like she hasn't eaten much in pellets since I mixed in the others. She's decided to live mostly on her timothy hay now instead....but she still has the colored urine.

I don't feed alfalfa, so if it's not in the pellets she shouldn't be getting any of that...only timothy.

I've always liked the Manna Pro and what it does for the bunnies, but I can't figure this colored urine thing out. I'm not giving her veggies that would cause it and I can't think of anything other than the pellets. I've had it before in the past, but it tends to only last a short time and then goes away. Hers seems to be lasting for far too long now.

Latest posts

Back