Mandeville just bit me!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandeville

Reaction score
She was playing outside the cage. I didn't try to touch or pick her up. I just put my hand in front of her. She came along and sniffed it then she bit my finger!

It hurt but my skin wasn't broken. Is she hating me???:?:(:confused2::confused2:

Hmm, Idk what others will say, as I am not as experienced. But my bun Oliver use to nip at me and my vet told me it was a sign of affection? I guess it all depends on how they approached you.

Again, wait and see what the others say.. since I am a fairly new bun owner.

I just got bit the other day and mine drew blood and LOTS of it! So I know how you feel :)

Maybe she thought it was food? Or that you should have had food and nipped because you didnt?

Sorry, I really dont know.. hope others will chime in.

I personally dont think biting or nipping is a sign of affection, but thats just me.. and I suck at bunny language.

Probably because you put your hand in front of her especially if it was a fast movement.

I've had rabbits for 14+ years, if you startle them they will tend to nip at you. Buttercup RIP nipped at me in his later years if i moved to fast.

I always try to talk to the bunny before i reach for them.

If they do break your skin, wash the area wella nd use Polysporin on the bite.

Susan:)

Anyway, I guess I'll let her play with the chew toy...

BTW, here are some pics of the little criminal:

medish.jpg

medish.jpg

medish.jpg

Maybe she was startled, maybe you smelled like food, maybe she wanted you to know you were in her way. Some buns don't even seem to know they're hurting you when they bite. If she does it again, try letting out a high pitched squeal so she knows she hurt you.

I found with Gary I had to teach him that it hurt with the squeel. I think because they naturally communicate that way with each other they think it is ok to bite the nude bunnies too (humans). I think this is more of an issue with little ones since after he figured that out he stopped and has not nibbled in the past year. The rabbits I got when they were older already seemed to know they shouldn't nip at us, but still communicate that way with each other.

:yeahthat:

Nipping can be a sign of affection. I initially thought biting and nipping were the same, but they aren't. As Maria can attest to, buns can bite HARD if they want to.

When I first brought home Agnes as a baby, she went through a nipping stage. I realized it was her way of saying hi, pay attention to me, and I like you :) although flattering, it is not a habit I wanted to encourage.

I ignored her (ie never reward a bite with a head rub or attention, it teaches them they can get what they want from nipping) and also I would eeek in a high pitched voice and push her head down (like momma does to kits) and it did not take long for her to realize nipping is a no no. Buns are smart and will learn with gentle consistency.

Good luck!

Thanks for all these info. She nipped me 3 times last night and they really hurt!
I felt it was out of affection because after she did that she was circling and binkying around me.

What a lovely bunny!

I get nips all the time, but she's only really bit me a few times. The nips are startling, but only painful if she's got a sensitive bit of skin. She likes to get up under my arm and lick, lick, lick, NIP, lick, lick. Right under the arm. Since she's choosing to lay next to me I assume it's affection and not a sign of dislike.

When mine was young he would nip me if he wanted me to pet him. It was annoying. I pinched his bum after he did it, and now he doesn`t anymore!

Rue likes to groom me. He will lick me head to toe and nibble as he does it. When he gets a little to hard in the nibble I pull back and give him a firm NO! After a few times he stopped.

He was grooming my dog Maggie today and he nibbled to hard she shot straight in the air and spun around and put her paw on his back and lightly nipped his neck. He tried it again and she did the same thing so he took off to hide in his cage lol.

Hes only 4 1/2 months old and he is quickly learning. But yes if its a soft nibble its more then likely her grooming you so you just need to tell her it hurts.

Back