Males in the Same Cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskerz

Reaction score
Im just wondering, If I have my big cage and its divided into 2 separate parts, each part with a male un-neatured rabbit in it. Will they behave badly by spraying or being mean? They will not be able to see eahchother because there will be a wooden board separating them, but could they smell eahcother?

:?

yep..their gonna be very unhappy about their neighbor...i have buns that are fixed and they cant be neighbors even with a seperator blocking them and their sight..they will cause mayhem in their own cage...pee and poop everywhere...but i also have a few buns that tolerate other buns next to them...but they are never within reach of each other cuz they will box thru the cage...im not sure how breeders house intact male bunnies ..wether they are right next to each other or not...

They will still be able to smell eachother and it might aggravate them both, as they are both unneutered.

I am in the process of bonding my two males, and they live in a converted shed with a thick wire division, and have both been neutered and known eachther for years. They spend most of their time licking one another through the bars. I can't quite trust them together yet because of the dominance thing they have (humping, leading to nipping and chasing occasionally) but I know they love to be together, which is why I have them living together, but safely. They have never once nipped or scratched through the partition in the years they have lived together, and I am positive they won't, otherwise they wouldn't be housed like that. In the end it is for their happiness.

However, if your two little buds don't really want to be around eachother, I wouldn't house them sooooo close. If you need to, definately get them both neutered, and this should help.

Jen

If you have a solid divider between them, it shouldn't be a problem. They will most likely spray, but that doesn't hurt anything (a long as they're not inside).

Especially if they are used to a rabbitry setting, they should be alright. I keep bucks in side-by-side cages without any problems other than the spraying which is really only occasional.

ETA- Whiskerz, just to clarify, I thought you had mentioned that you'd gotten a buck to show. So I'm assuming that's why he is unneutered. Any pet rabbits though, the others are right, it's best to just have them neutered.:)

I have all my boys together no problem. It can all depend on the rabbit but as long as you have a divider it shouldn't matter. some spraying will be involved. but eventually they will settle down. all my boys did and2 of them have the wire and plastic bottom cages one is in and all wire cage and one in a metal trough. they sprayed to mark territories but they all eventually settled down

Back