Male or Female?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallenRabbit

Reaction score
Should I get a male or female rabbit?
I'm hoping I could get my rabbit at the humane society, they have their animals already fixed. I would like to get one there because it will give one of many rabbits there a home.
If I couldn't get a rabbit there I have a neighboor across the street that sells rabbits, they breed them in their backyard.
Now the question is male or female? If the rabbit has to be fixed I think I would need to get him from he humane society.
I looked at the adoption sheet for the humane society and one of the questions was:
Would you be willing to allow a representative to make a home visit at a mutually agreed upon time?
...Yes or no?
:?

If the rabbit is fixed I don't think there will be much of a difference in terms of spraying and using the litter box. It's best just to go and see which rabbit, regardless of sex, you like the most.

And having a representative visit you is great! They can teach you what are rabbit hazards and what to look out for.

That representative needs to ensure a good home for the animal that you are going to adopt. I think its a great idea!

If you are going to get a bun that is spay/neutered already then it really doesnt matter the sex, like the above poster said, whichever bun you fall for.

Good luck!

Neutered kind of evens things out. With our brood, the males with one exception have been the mellowest and least destructive. We've also had several females that are lap bunnies, but they seem to be a little more aggressive than the males. It boils down to their personality--find one that you like and that likes you.

Most rabbits need to be neutered. For males it's not the avoidance of cancer that's the issue the way it is with females, but their behavior when the hormones set in. A few lucky males don't experience this, but most do.

The sex of that rabbit you get is really your choice. There are some pros and cons to both. Getting them spayed or neutered does reduce some of the differences.

The differences and most issues arise when the rabbits are kept intact. Males can spray, hump and some can get aggressive, they can also be harder to litter train. Females tend to get more moody, they can spray but it is far less likely than with males, they can also have false pregnancies. Not all rabbits will have these behaviours, I have 2 intact bucks that are litter trained, don't spray and are quite friendly (they do hump though).
Spayed or neutered rabbits are fairly similar between males and females. They should not spray (if neutered before spraying becomes an issue), but some may hump other rabbits. They should have good litter habits, but that can vary from rabbit to rabbit. They are usually not aggressive, but again that can be an individual thing.

Females tend to be more expensive to get spayed than males. It is a more invasive procedure. They can also take a bit longer to recover, but it is usually only a few more days.

The choice is really yours. I would recommend going to the rescue and seeing the rabbits there. Don't worry too much about the sex and get one whose personality you like. If there aren't any that you connect with, then see what your neighbour has and if you connect with any of them. Focus more on the individual rabbit than what sex it is.

At the Humane Society near me they need you to bring in all your family members that live in your house. They also need all the pets to come to be interviewed. This seems kindof unneeded, but I know why they do it. They say if all family/pet members aren't there during adoption, the pet will be put on hold untill are family/pet members can come. :expressionless

FallenRabbit wrote:
At the Humane Society near me they need you to bring in all your family members that live in your house. They also need all the pets to come to be interviewed. This seems kindof unneeded, but I know why they do it. They say if all family/pet members aren't there during adoption, the pet will be put on hold untill are family/pet members can come. :expressionless

I think that's really great that the Humane Society puts so much effort into their adoptions. I didn't know adoption agencies did that at all! That's a great policy.

That is a great policy! With all the care they take, I would travel far and wide to get my bunny from them :)

I prefer males because of their calmness, but have two females that are reasonably friendly but are busier in the way they prefer to explore than cuddle. But, they could be down to breed for all I know. Its hilarious to watch her zoom around During playtime!

I think it depends just by chance on each individual rabbit. I have a female who although is in her teenage hormonal stage, :), is the cuddliest rabbit. I have nothing to compare her to other than stories on here but she is an absolute love. I can pick her up, carry her anywhere, she follows me, sits on my lap, licks and kisses me, greets me every time I come downstairs to get her, nudges for head rubs....she is so sweet!

Latest posts

Back