Male 9months Not pooping after Neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlyChan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been watching my oldest male bunny closely for a few days now after he was neutered.

He seems to be moving around normally and he eats when I offer him Cilantro or hay, but he is not pooping. He pooped late last night/ early morning, but is there anything I can do to help him??

Hey everyone,

I have been watching my oldest male bunny closely for a few days now after he was neutered.

He seems to be moving around normally and he eats when I offer him Cilantro or hay, but he is not pooping. He pooped late last night/ early morning, but is there anything I can do to help him??
Anesthestic can cause stasis so would syringe feed initially keep warm if necessary as it lowers their temperature also and maybe some gut stimulant if not pooping

Is he eating enough food and drinking enough water? Even if he's eating, if it's not a sufficient amount, it will lead to slow gut motility. Same with not getting enough fluids. In these instances, supplemental syringe feeding is usually necessary to keep the rabbits digestive system moving normally until they get back to eating as usual on their own.

https://web.as.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html
If he is eating plenty, the digestive system will slow down some following surgery, due to the hours during and after surgery where they haven't been eating. Along with any opioid pain meds that were given that can also cause GI slowdown, as well as the stress of the pre and post surgery.

If after a couple days, or at any point post surgery, his pooping isn't getting back to normal, if his condition is deteriorating, and/or you have any concerns that there may be a problem, you should contact your vet immediately.

Latest posts

Back