Making Sure I'm Ready

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone, especially maxysmummy!
I'll have to go down to walmart today and pick up some fleece and give it a shot, which should be on sale since its getting warmer here ^^.

Jfinner1:
I was able to get that litter box at petsmart ^^
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752717

Thank you again everyone with helping me out with this. I'd be lost without this forum ^_^

Some rabbits will choose one corner to pee and poop, so it can be easier to just put the litter box there rather than try to get them to use it where you put it.
Another thing, I don't know how much that litter is, but you can use wood pellets (petsmart has some safe ones in the cat litter aisle). They tend to be cheaper and are very absorbent. If there are farm or feed stores, you can get horse stall bedding that is about $4-6 for a 40 pound bag.
For a bowl, Petsmart has ones that clamp onto the cage in the bird section. They are great and sit a bit lower in the cage than some other bowls. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754306
You will also need to get more toys, but wait to see what your rabbit likes. Some rabbits like certain toys and not others, so spend on what they like rather than waste money on what you think they might like.

Thank you so much! Apparently, the Petsmart I usually go to doesn't carry them. (I called, lol). But the other one in town, which is about the same distance away, has them in stock. I'll be picking one up tonight! No more litter thrown everywhere! Yea!

Thank you again!

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Some rabbits will choose one corner to pee and poop, so it can be easier to just put the litter box there rather than try to get them to use it where you put it.
Another thing, I don't know how much that litter is, but you can use wood pellets (petsmart has some safe ones in the cat litter aisle). They tend to be cheaper and are very absorbent. If there are farm or feed stores, you can get horse stall bedding that is about $4-6 for a 40 pound bag.
For a bowl, Petsmart has ones that clamp onto the cage in the bird section. They are great and sit a bit lower in the cage than some other bowls. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754306
You will also need to get more toys, but wait to see what your rabbit likes. Some rabbits like certain toys and not others, so spend on what they like rather than waste money on what you think they might like.

Thank you for the suggestions! The bowl I am returning today is a plastic version of the one in the link and the bottom of the cage is so deep before the metal bars meet the plastic bottom. So when I tried to attach the food dish it just seemed to high up for a little 8 week old baby to reach. So maybe a bowl that attaches to a cage will be best later down the line. :)

Jfinner1:
I'm glad you were able to find one and will pick it up! Something tells me that type of litter box will be a godsend! It seems petsmart was the only place that had it.. walmart online has one too but I'm one of those that like to see and examine a product before ordering or paying for it :) Good luck with the litter box!

Just talked to the breeder, I will be picking up my new baby around 3:30pm tomorrow! I'm so excited!!

I use the hanging bowls for water, but have ceramic bowls for food. If you have the water bottle, then you don't need to worry about it as much. If you decide to use a bowl for water in the future, then get one that hangs onto the cage. I do like the ceramic ones are they are heavier, so harder to tip over and they can't be chewed.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
I use the hanging bowls for water, but have ceramic bowls for food. If you have the water bottle, then you don't need to worry about it as much. If you decide to use a bowl for water in the future, then get one that hangs onto the cage. I do like the ceramic ones are they are heavier, so harder to tip over and they can't be chewed.

I'm looking to buying the ceramic bowl today, for food. I do have a water bottle for her as well :). The reason I guess I thought about buying the hanging bowl was because I thought it would be hard for her to tip it over.

I'm also debating on returning the tube and buying a wood hideaway. Just waiting for my husband to come home before we go out.

AzWabbit wrote:
Korr_and_Sophie wrote:

I'm looking to buying the ceramic bowl today, for food. I do have a water bottle for her as well :). The reason I guess I thought about buying the hanging bowl was because I thought it would be hard for her to tip it over.

I'm also debating on returning the tube and buying a wood hideaway. Just waiting for my husband to come home before we go out.

a wood or woven hideaway would probably be more enjoyable for her cause she can chew it etc!

Yep, I am also returning the food I got since the breeder sells the same food she feeds her bunnies. So I'm going to buy from her and she sells a few toys as well, so basically I'm getting my bunny tomorrow plus more ^____^

AzWabbit wrote:
Yep, I am also returning the food I got since the breeder sells the same food she feeds her bunnies. So I'm going to buy from her and she sells a few toys as well, so basically I'm getting my bunny tomorrow plus more ^____^

make sure it's good quality food... the food my bunnys breeders gave me was absoute CRAP

Really? You'd think breeders would feed their babies only the best. On her site its called
Purina Show Formula Rabbit Feed

do you know anything about it?

AzWabbit wrote:
Really? You'd think breeders would feed their babies only the best. On her site its called
Purina Show Formula Rabbit Feed

do you know anything about it?

nope, im in australia so we have completely different brands here... do a search up the top and see what people have said about it.

Well this is what I found so far, like whats in it. I'm going to read up some reviews now.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein (Min)....................................................
Crude Fat (Min)..........................................................
Crude Fiber (Min).......................................................
Crude Fiber (Max)......................................................
Calcium (Ca) (Min).....................................................
Calcium (Ca) (Max)....................................................
Phosphorus (P) (Min)..................................................
Salt (NaCl) (Min)........................................................
Salt (NaCl) (Max) ......................................................
Vitamin A (Min).......................................................... 16.00%
3.50%
18.50%
21.50%
0.70%
1.20%
0.40%
0.50%
1.00%
4,800 IU/lb

INGREDIENTS
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Soybean Hulls, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Cane Molasses, Soybean Oil, Ground Oat Hulls, Lignin Sulfonate, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Iron Oxide, L-Lysine, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Ferment Product, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Zinc Sulfate, Dried Yucca Shidigera Extract, Copper Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate.

funnybunnymummy wrote:
Purina Show Formula is one of the better feeds. Plus it's got yucca in it, which helps cut litter box odour! :)

Hope that helps!

Rue

I've read so many reviews and a lot highly recommend it :) So hearing someone from here also saying its a good feed helps too! So I'm gonna stick with what the breeder is feeding her and find a feed store around my area who sells it as well since I've never seen it in Petsmart/Petco

Alright so I returned a lot of items and I bought something to keep the food in, A wooden hut/hideaway, some more chew toys (petco has these cute little ABC blocks I picked up) something to transport her in on the car ride home, a brush, a ceramic bowl, and a bag of just alfalfa.

I think I'm set :)

Also, those water bottles with the flip top lids usually have the rod in tube sort of spouts which leak less, but my buns refuse to drink out of them; they'll only use the ball kind of water bottles. Lots of buns use them just fine but I'd also offer a crock of water just in case.

missyscove wrote:
Also, those water bottles with the flip top lids usually have the rod in tube sort of spouts which leak less, but my buns refuse to drink out of them; they'll only use the ball kind of water bottles. Lots of buns use them just fine but I'd also offer a crock of water just in case.

My husband was the one that brought them to my attention when we were at a feed store. He showed me both the one with the rod and the one with the ball and this might sound strange but I put myself in the rabbits place and thought which one I'd prefer more and I decided to get the ball one XD

if u need to split a bale of hay, im game.:)
and i wanted to tell u about Brambley Hedge Rabbit Rescue ..they have a thrift store and inside it has a small rabbit store..with all kinds of kewl rabbit safe and reasonably priced things..AND the good news is the money goes to the Rabbit rescue...
i get my woodstove pellets from either A fireplace store at 32nd st. and greenway or at The Stock shop ..u have to specifically ask them for the PELLETED TerraMIgo ..they have pelleted and loose...i prefer the pelleted ,it last longer and smells better...40lb bag for 6 bucks...:).

Latest posts

Back