Making rabbit-safe HEALTHY treats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
Ok, so me and my sister are wanting to make some healthy, organic snacks/treats that we can give all our bunnies (especially the ones on diets) besides those ones from the stores that have too much sugar in them - which we rarely buy/give.
So how do you make healthy treats out of like veggies, fruits or whatever else? I know oatmeal is good for babies, but is it ok for older bunnies too? If so, is there some sort of way to make treats out of this? With some other stuff included?

We have made meals for them before - such as this one recipe I found which just involved putting warm water mixed with pellets and some other stuff to make like a mushy-pudding-like supper...they seemed ok with it but I thought it was just wasteful...so we're not doing that again! Plus, it was hard to get out of their dishes when it just hardened all up - gross!

Anyway, we already grow our own grass hay in the spring and summer times - how's this done you might ask? - well, we just pick grass (from a relishing area!) and let it dry over a course of - well, - however long it takes and then we either package it in non-airtight containers/bags, or we just feed it too our bunnies and we also take it too fairs with us, etc.

So, any suggestions? Recipes? Ideas?
Anything will help.

Also, we used to make our own sun-dried hay/pellet treats - by mixing hay + water + treats + hay cubes + pellets in the blender and then sundrying them. Were they popular? Not very!

So, anything that is healthy, not too sugary, just the right protein, not fatty, basically Dietary treat-recipes, will work great!

Thanks, Emily

Small amounts of fresh fruit are a favourite around here! Healthy (in small quantities) and easy to prepare! They love it too!

I hate store treats with a passion. They should be banned, they are so unhealthy!

I keep everything simple and as natural as possible here. So lots of veggies and hay with pellets just to make sure they have a complete diet, and fresh fruit or baked homemade bunny cookies as treats. This is also a craisen free house! I rather give them a wedge of apple rather than a sugar loaded teeny craisen, personally ;).

You might want to try these bunny cookies. They are easy to make, and my guys love it! You could also substitute the fruit in it for fresh parsley, or make it half fruit half veggie for bunnies on a diet :).

Here's a great link for homemade bunny treats (includes the bunny cookie recipes)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33521&forum_id=48&jump_to=440172#p440172

Thanks for the information and recipe, Spring! I'll definitley have to try making those bunny cookies.

Yeah, treats are pretty unhealthy, I usually only give them whilst training, because, well the bunnies like a little surprise now and then, so yea.

Yesterday I had some treats and I was able to train Kalea to Beg and Spin. She didn't get an entire treat, just as much as would fit in her mouth, that's all she received. She likes to chase the grass, so I use that a training tool too. I just hold the grass up and say Spin and move it around, she follows it. As a reward she just gets pets and pats.

With Bruce, all I had to do was hold a treat in my hand, and put it in front his face, move it in a circle and say "Spin" and he went so fast! lol. He got half the treat.

These are the real sugary treats, but they only get them probably every other day, just 1 or half a one each. But hopefully these bunny cookies will work great for diets and training!

Emily

They would work great for training, since you can break them into the size pieces you like. I froze most of them, and if I need them I just unthaw them and give it to the bunnies so they last longer :).

Latest posts

Back