making nests

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynnnora2

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have 2 does that were both bred on 22nd August. 3 weeks yesterday. I put some new straw and hay in for them today and as soon as I did they both started frantically collecting it in their mouths and seem to be both trying to build their nests, One of the does has had 3 litters before and usually builds her nest late on in her pregnancy and the other doe is a first time mother. Do I need to put the nest boxes in now seeing as theyve started to build or do I leave them for abit longer. Any advice will be appreciated,
Lynnnora x

I had one doe that did the same thing, and she wasn't a first timer. It was a week ahead, which was too early. We normally wait until day 28 to put the box in, so I waited a day or two and then put the box in instead of waiting and she started nesting again. It's up to you, but if they're nesting early you could put it in at say day 26 or 27. You don't want her to build in it and have time to poop in it, too, before she kindles.

Latest posts

Back