Making foam costume sword

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

degrassi

Valerie - Member
Reaction score
I know its early but I wanted plenty of time to make it. This year for Halloween I'm going to be Link from the Legend of Zelda. So I need to make a sword and shield go to along with my outfit. Looks like this: Sword/shield pic

I'm thinking i'll make the shield out of foam core but i'm not 100% sure on how to make the sword. I want a nice real looking sword, not something like cardboard. So far i'm thinking wood/pvc dowel covered in foam insulation that I would carve into the right shape and paint.

Has anyone made anything like this before? I've never worked with insulation before so i'm not sure what type of adhesives or paint to use that won't melt the insulation.

Open to any suggestions.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
wood sounds like the way to go.
Yeah it would be a bit easier to make out of wood but carrying around a full size wooden sword would be quite heavy. Plus I dont' think they'd let you into the bar on halloween with a full size wooden sword.

I haven't ruled out wood completely yet. Next week i'll go to home depot to source out the supplies and see which will work best.

I just came home from the fabric store and bought my pattern and fabric. Total came to 14$,lol. So far much cheaper then I thought it would be. Maybe now I can just buy the sword/shield :p

You could try a dollar store. They have the Halloween stuff out now, so you might be able to find something. If they don't have exactly what you want, you could work with it and maybe get it to be right.

Latest posts

Back