Making a nest too early?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairyTailFuzzies

Reaction score
do does start making their nest. My doeisn't due until March 7th +-. I noticed yesterday she wasgathering hay in her mouth and building a nest in her cage. Igave her a nestbox and moved the material into the box. Shehas been working on her nest and pulling fur and has made quite thenice little spot for her babies. However she is veryearly................she has had kits before with her previous ownerbut she lived outside and they froze. It looks like she iskeeping it clean - no poopies in the nest and she urinates in theopposite corner of the cage. Is this very abnormal? Should Ibe worried?

No need to worry. Some doe's pull fur a while before kindling. My doe Fergi pulled hair about two weeks before the kits came.

Could you contact her former owner and see how early she started building last time she had kits?

Are you sure the due date is correct?

Good luck with the mom and soon to be arriving kits!

Fergi's mom

B/T/W I just read your profile and I just got a German Shepherd puppytwo weeks ago, would love to chat with someone familiar to the breed!

I've contacted her previous owner with another question and never got a response so I doubt I'd get one with this question.

I'm positive about the due date - I'm fanatic with records!

Well I won't worry then, and I'll sleep all night without getting upand checking on her!:D At least until the 6th or so!;););) Thanks

Feel free to PM me at[email protected]andwe can chat about GSDs ! Its the only subject I love more thanbunnies! We are in training for out first dog show inobedience in April - my pup is about 16 mos now! Time flies!

FairyTailFuzzies wrote:
do does start making their nest. My doe isn't dueuntil March 7th +-. I noticed yesterday she was gathering hayin her mouth and building a nest in her cage. I gave her anestbox and moved the material into the box. She has beenworking on her nest and pulling fur and has made quite the nice littlespot for her babies. However she is veryearly................she has had kits before with her previous ownerbut she lived outside and they froze. It looks like she iskeeping it clean - no poopies in the nest and she urinates in theopposite corner of the cage. Is this very abnormal? Should Ibe worried?

22 days is a little early for any doe to be making a nest. She's inthat time frame that does go through what is a false pregancy andaborting. They think they are pregant so they build a nest etc and endhaving no kits. She also could be preparing for an abortion. I've onlyhad one doe abort and she didn't make a list. Just let her do whatevercycle shes going through. You could be up in the air whether or not youget kits or not.

Good Luck!

Hi! I'm new too. My FuzLop doe justgave birth thursday night/friday morning and was exhibiting the samebehavior 10 days before (which would be about day 21). Shehas just two kits and seems to be doing great.

Will post pictures later.

Latest posts

Back