'Make Mine Chocolate UK' Campaign Gets Press

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Was pleased to read in the latest'Make Mine Chocolate' newsletter (sent via Facebook) that the campaign to encourage people not to give pet rabbirs as Easter presents and stick to chocolate ones, is getting national press coverage :D

This is copied from www.dailymirror.com

Pet rabbits are not just for Easter
By Matt Blake 29/03/2010

image-1-for-animal-pictures-of-the-week-22nd-30th-march-gallery-554522527.jpg

Parents planning to buy pet rabbits for their children this Easter are being urged to get chocolate ones instead.

An animal welfare group warns the real thing takes effort to look after and costs owners up to £1,000 a year.

Each year thousands of unwanted Easter bunnies end up in rescue centres.
blank.gif

Comedian Paul O'Grady, who backs the Make Mine Chocolate! campaign, said: "Unwanted gifts can be returned, exchanged or taken to a charity shop - an unwanted rabbit can't."
Lisa Whitty, of the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund, which set up the group, added: "Almost 40% of rabbits being given up to shelters are within six months of being bought. Many people simply aren't aware of what's involved in keeping one."

For more on the campaign - also backed by Strictly winner Tom Chambers and Toyah Wilcox - visit www.makeminechocolate.co.uk or www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Brilliant! This kind of thing needs more press. People need to totally understand, and the more it's talked about (especially money-wise), hopefully it will be enough to put off the non-committed parents who want to give their 4 year old a fluffy bunnikins for Easter:?, or even just the impulse buyers too!

:bunnydance: dont know if anybun saw the feature on rabbits this morning on the bbc breakfast show? i missed it due to the school run:( the cbbc newsround programme did a piece on rabbit care this afternoon too. i saw most of this and it was very informative. i dont normally watch newsround but it's my girlguiding night. im with a rainbows unit - 5 to 7 years olds some of whom watch it. it's useful to know what they are talking about!

Latest posts

Back