Major Bunny Problem...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speri

Reaction score
I have had my rabbit, Speri, for a couple of years now. Whenever I used to pick her up (which wouldn't be often I'd admit, as I wasn't aware of how importantthe social needs of a rabbit were), she'd kick a bit and fight me, but once she was out, then she'd calm down. I understand thebasics about picking up rabbits, not by the scruff and definitely not by the ears (obviously) as the scruff contains sensitive skin and nerve endings...so I know I'm not making her uncomfortable in that nature. However, I have talked to Nut (another member on here) and looked in magazines (Rabbits USA) and have read a section in a book on how to properly pick up a rabbit, I am still having troubles. Things have progressed from kicking and putting up a little fight to snorting (which I recognize as a rabbit being very upset) and nipping at me. I do not understand in any way, shape or form why Speri is doing this now...

One of my first thoughts was that she is in pain, although, she is eating like a little piggy, an ideal weight, and very playful if I manage to actually get her to the designated part of the house she is allotted to exercise in. :?

I have done my reading and researching on bunnies since I have vowed to give Speri the best care I possibly can (now that I am informed on a rabbit's needs that I was not before) and I have read that you are to let the rabbit come to you, out of it's cage itself. Now, I'd love to do that, but, I have her cage elevated (about three feet off the ground, indoors) because I have four dogs as well. I am not allowed to move the cage around, as my mom would have a fit...literally. lol It is almost impossible to let her come out on her own. My way I do not like. I have to pull her tray out (from under her cage), open up her door and let her walk onto the tray, and then there's the problem there. From there I have to pick her up. One of two things always happen from there (as I have successfully done it once or twice...with getting scratched and nipped), either I get beat up by my own bunny (yes, I know it sounds pathetic lol) or she runs back into her cage like a bomb is about to go off.

*sigh* I really want the best for my little bun, and I want to be able to exercise her and let her play. She even binkies when she's out or when I pet her in her cage sometimes...so I know it isn't like she doesn't enjoy my company. I am never rough or mean to her in any way. Is there anyone with a similar problem resolved or a way to calm her down...anything? I would be so grateful for any advice.

I have similar problems with Wash, he just doesn't like coming out on his own so I have to crawl into his cage and dig him out. Try tempting Speri with a favorite treat and give her more while she's in your arms. I did that for a while with Wash and now he doesn't mind being picked up as much because he associates it with yummies ;)I also carry my babes in their litterboxes to wherever they need to go, it keeps me from getting scratched up if they freak out and helps them feel like they've got some sturdy ground to stand on.

Some bunnies just REALLY don't like being picked up, so it might just be something you have to deal with :?

Good luck!

Katie is right when she says some bunnies just don't like to be picked up. But you should still be able to hold Speri so she doesn't hurt you. But I have several buns that like to try and scratch me and fuss when getting picked up. I'm not happy that she is nipping at you. Try giving her treats like Katie said, give her lots snuggles and praise once you are holding her, and remind her that it is a GOOD thing, and not a terrible thing to be picked up. Maybe she gets nervous by the way you take her out of her cage? I reread what you wrote about it, and I'm trying to picture what you are saying... when you pull her tray out before getting her does this scare her? are your dogs running around the cage or anything?

All I can offer is try to make it a really calm, and gentle event, with a reward at the end. And if you are really getting hurt, wear gloves. Most buns can get over this. I have several that have never ever been handled, and when I reach for them, they still get a little nervous, but once I get a hold of them they calm right down.

Well, as far as Speri getting startled when I pull the tray out, she doesn't I don't think because she remains in the same place she was when I first came to her cage - same facial/ear expressions and everything, even coming a little closer to the door. No, the dogs are crated when I take her out, so no accidents occur. I know it is hard to envision what I am saying about pulling the tray out...I will try and explain a little better.

As Speri has a cage with the tray, I pull it out as if I was about to clean it, then I put towels down on the tray so she doesn't slide all over. I open up her side door so she can walk down it and then onto the tray so she is out of her cage. lol It sounds really confusing, I know.

I always do make it a quiet, calm and rewarding experience every time I even attempt to take her out. Speri's smart though, as I have noticed. Now she is hesitating to come out even for a treat or when it's feeding time with her pellets.

I will try everything you both said, and hope for the best. Thank you very much for sharing some info with me, it reinforces that it can be done. :pI may have to resort to the gloves...

Is there any specific way to take a rabbit out of a side door to a cage? I wish the top opened, then it would be a little easier...

One thing you could try is to put together a carrier (just regular cat carrier type thing), put some treats in it (to lure her into it) and maybe a towel on the floor and maybe even something in her cage that she feels comfortable with (so she sees it in there, and feels like it's safe). So, she would get into the carrier, and you can just carry that on over to her exercise area and let her come out of there on her own.

That way, she's going into the carrier on her own, and then coming out of it into her exercise area on her own. :)

Edited to add: that would also help her to trust going into the carrier for vet visits. :D

No that helps A LOT, I can see what you are doing when you pull her out now, and that sounds quite good,I think you are doing that just fine. The only thing I can think then by your last post, is that maybe it's just a personality thing. One of my Dwarfs, Sasha, loves coming out to run around the house, but flipps out when I try to take her out of her house. It's easier now than it used to be, but she still scratches a little bit. She's eight years old, and I've had her for nearly a year, but her former owners tell me she has done this for years. I find the very best way for me to get her out, is to kind of surprise her, not in a scary, OMG I'm going to grab you kind of way, but I give her a treat, let her eat it, then just snatch her up. Maybe when you get Speri out onto the tray with the towels, let her sit there for a moment, give her a treat, let her eat it, and look around, and then just pick her up and tuck her in. You could also pick her up in a towel which would prevent her from scratching you, and make her feel more secure.

Okay! Thank goodness I could explain something! lol I'm usually pretty bad. :p

Awesome idea with the carrier, maherwoman, thanks a bunch! I never even thought of that.

trailsend - I'm going to keep trying to let her out the way I've been doing it, and then try and tuck her in like yousaid,and maybe try the carrier idea, as Speri may like that too. Thanks for all of your advice, it was nice getting some extra bunny support when I kind of though I was doing something wrong. I feel better now. :D

Funny you mention this...

I have a very serious problem with Ashton in regards to being picked up. I never had this much trouble with a bunny before which makes it interesting as it's a new challenge (one was simply tooooo aggressive to even attempt to hold her). Hihi.

What I have been doing with him is using the towel trick. Sure, this will scare him at first... I basically use a small towel and throw it over him. Once he freezes, I scoop him up push the towel back so he can see me and hand him a treat while talking to him softly andobviously moving on to the nose andear scratchies(mind you I sit on the floor at the beginning because this rabbit would jump out of my arms at any given chance) The first 2-3 times were not successful and I can say thank goodness I sat on the floor. Lol.

However, it's what about 2 weeks now, and he is getting there. He will never be a cuddle bunny and I respect that. I do insist though that he let me pick him up when necessary because I find it important in case of an emergency etc. Also, he needs to get used to me handling him for nail cutting and other things as well.

I (and this is only a personal opinion) am not into the "let them be" theory. I prefer to work with them slowly but surely and at least get some degree of agreement between the bunny and I. I would never enforce myself upon the bunny either so I mean, don't expect a cuddle bunny out of a bunny who simply wants to run free and explore the world. I think it is important that you work out a deal with the bunny so to speak as it can be very useful and it also allows the rabbit to trust you more.

I hope it works out for you :rose:

MsBinky - I totally agree with you. I am not a "let them be" type of rabbit owner either. I accept the fact that you can't turn a rabbit into a cuddle bug or something they just aren't, however, working with them is a giant must of mine. That's how it is with all of my animals. That's a unique idea you came up with for your bun, although, I already tried something similar...and Speri seemed to go even more ballistic. That's alright though, I am now just doing what I have been doing in the first place (taking the tray out etc.) and letting her come out on her own. I'd proudly like to report that last night she came out and was actually trusting me to touch her while she was outside her cage (so, she trusted me enough to think I wasn't just going to grab her from there lol).

Bo B Bunny - No, Speri is not spayed...well, to my best knowledge she isn't. As I "rescued" (if you will) her from a classroom with many screaming kids, I would assume she isn't. I do not know much about her previous owner, however, before the whole classroom fiasco. When I first got her, the idea crossed my mind to ask my mom if rabbits should be altered, and she said to me that there is a greater chance of her dying under anesthesia than dying from some type of cancer or other complication. So, me, being younger then...I didn't beg to have it done. All I thought was that I didn't want my poor bun to die.I obviously was greatly misinformed though. I now see the benefits to spaying, except I would feel forever guilty if something (God forbid) were to happen to Speri during the surgery...because my mom told me it wouldn't be a wise decision. If I pry, she'll let me do it most likely...I'm just not sure if it would be for the best though. Only because of her age...Speri is about 5 or 6 years already - is that too old? I understand it is of great importance to get buns altered, if only I would have known then what I know now. I'm very wary about the subject. Any words of advice concerning that are very welcome as well. :?

Once again, thank you everyonevery muchfor all of the advice and stories of their own bunnies. It makes me feel good to have a "bunny backbone" to fall back on. ;)

If it's any comfort to you, my girl Wiggles, had to have an emergency spay in less than ideal conditions. She was very ill and I was very worried about the anesthesia. However, she did perfectly fine. Trust me, you don't ever want to hear those words "It sounds like cancer" because that's just devastating. It wasn't cancer for Wiggles, but enough to have spooked me real good and taught me a valuable lesson. :rose:

Just to get an idea of the odds, take a poll here and ask how many of us dealt with serious consequences from the operation. Then compare it to the 80% risk of contracting cancer.

I understand how you feel however because that was exactly how I felt before knowing more. :hugsquish:

MsBinky - I think I will take a poll here. That's a great idea! It is very comforting to know that your bun was ill and she even made it through the surgery...I'm going to have to have a chat with my mom. Thank you for all the support, when people share personal experiences with situation I'm not sure about, I always seem to feel better about the topic. :)

I am glad you found it useful. Sometimes I worry about coming across as being self-centered because I always say "I, and me, my bunny" Lol but I cannot speak for anyone else and I do think that it helps when you have personal experiences to learn from. I have learned so much from others here so hey, if I could help in any way, I am glad :biggrin2:

This is probably going to sound stupid, but I have never "read" anything about the proper way to pick up a rabbit. I was physically shown, and have always done the same thing everytime.

With my Californians, we usually have to drag them out of the cage. With show rabbits in a carrier, we pick them up by gently scooping our hand underneath them, supporting their mid section. We tuck their face in the *crelbow* of the same arm we have underneath them. Basically they are straddling our arm, We find that if they can't really see the world going by, they tend not to freak out. We then take the other free hand, and place their back feet on it. Underneath them. My hands and arms are long and big enough, I can actually tuck, support, and brace the back feet all at once and the whole thing kinda resembles a semi bear hug, with the rabbit held close to our body.

Something my kids know, and they figured out on their own, if the back feet are hanging free, basically if the rabbit can "feel air" under it's hind feet, they really start kicking. So no matter how my kids manage to hold the rabbit they ALWAYS have the feet supported as well.

Does that make any sense at all?

That makes sense. :)I can visualize pretty well what you mean. Speri is just a little bun who hates being dragged out of cage though, she goes frantic. I do see where you're coming from though when you say no air underneath them when you're holding a rabbit. Maybe I should try holding her head in the crevice of my arm gently, like you said. She may not be as scared then. That's a really good idea, because I think part of her problem is she freaks out when she sees everything below and close to her moving. Thank you very much for the technique. Very helpful to me, and hopefully to little Speri. lol

Back