maine shows

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onionbunny

Reaction score
I am new to showing. Want to get into it. I have two rabbits right now, and was wondering if there were any shows in Maine coming up. And also how I get started and when I need. Thanks, Onionbunny

There's a show in Action on the 25th of this month, and then another one in Cumberland on the 23rd of August. You can go to ARBA's website and search for shows in your state. Those shows didn't have the show program online, so you'll have to contact the people listed for that.

You can only show purebred rabbits at rabbit shows. Contact the people to get a show program, and it will tell you what time the show room opens, what time you have to be entered by, etc.

When you get to the show, the first thing we do is go and see where our bunnies will be showing. There should be a big sign at each table listing the judge's name and the breeds being shown at that table. Then we go get the bunnies and set up nearby.

You'll need a way to transport your bunnies to/from the show (rabbit carriers), travel bottles/crocks, grooming supplies, etc.

Our grooming kit mainly just has paper towels, a spray bottle of water (for grooming), Lysol disinfecting wipes, my Kindle, etc. For grooming, I just spray my hands to get them damp and then rub them all over the bun, drying my hands (and removing loose fur) on paper towels. Depending on the breed, you might need to use a lint brush (rex fur) or regular brushes (if that's how you groom yours).

Once you get your bunnies in the show room, you'll need to go enter your rabbit(s). You basically just have to enter your name and address, your rabbit's tattoo number, breed, variety, age, and sex.

Then it's just sitting around, waiting for them to get to your breed (hence why I take my Kindle). When it's time for your bunny to be judged, you just place it on the judge's table. Then the judge will evaluate every rabbit, and begin placing. If your bunny wins, it stays put. If it doesn't, you take it off the table (and thank the judge!) and you're done. :)

Each breed has a different order in the ages/varieties of judging. With lops, we're just solid and broken. They start with solids...and it goes senior bucks, senior does, 6/8 bucks, 6/8 does, junior bucks, and then junior does. The winners of those stay put. Then it's the same order for brokens. Then they choose a Best of Breed and Best Opposite Sex. With Netherlands, I'm not sure how they're shown, though.

I hope this helps a bit...and I'm sure I forgot something along the way. But at the show, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! Other exhibitors and show staff are always more than willing to answer questions, and the more people we get sucked into the hobby, the better for everyone. :)

Latest posts

Back