Magic's eye still not fully healed (RESOLVED)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The eyelid defects can be manifested in a number of ways. In some cases, the lower lid has a slight notch in it causing corneal abrasion. Because this defect is so common in lops, it is one of the first things I suspect when I see corneal abrasions in small breeds of lops. This possibility should be discussed with your vet, who should be very familiar with the condition in dogs.

Pam

Just thought i'd give an update: We went to the vets this morning and although the eye doesn't look that bad once it was stained it showed up the ulcer being still rather large. My vet suggested the scarifying and explained the procedure to me. I discussed the other options with me and she had heard of the other meication Randy mentioned. She actually said the same about it and had heard of it's use in human medicine and for dogs ulcer.
Yet, she felt scarifying it would give the best results but she said she'll give me a prescription of the other cream as well.
Although it means anasthetics I do trust her abilities as so far she's never let us down. I'm only wondering now if I would have to keep her indoors for the night after the operation. Will she have problems with temperature control like after a spay?

I think that randy meant using the other drug instead of scarifying. I don't know if they should be used together.
if you are going to have the procedure done you should ask the vet about the post op care

We'll wait for randy to reply here and if he doesn't just pm him
I don't know enough about the procedure to give an intelligent answer.

angieluv wrote:
I think that randy meant using the other drug instead of scarifying. I don't know if they should be used together.
if you are going to have the procedure done you should ask the vet about the post op care

We'll wait for randy to reply here and if he doesn't just pm him
I don't know enough about the procedure to give an intelligent answer.
I know he meant it instead of the scarifying. I think she meant if that didn't bring the desired results she would consider the cream. I actually need to clarify it when I pick up Magic later.

We got back from the vet a while ago. magic is in great form, We are keeping her in for the night and she is hopping around in the living room.
I expected her eye to look dreadfully sore after the operation but to be honest I can't see much.
We were prescribed Baytril to be given orally twice a day and eye drops called Exocin to be given 4 times a day plus other eye drops for moisterising the eye.
We have a follow up check next friday and take it from there.
I haven't heard the name of those eye drops mentioned before. has anyone experience with them?

angieluv wrote:
Actually I think that your vet sounds very good....
I think i am very lucky because rabbits are certainly not a priority pet in ireland. One of the vets working in the clinic used to do a lot of spays and neuters for a shelter in the UK. And this clinic is not even the most expensive one around.

Just and update. Magic had the procedure the vet suggested (scarifying by drawing a grid on the eye) and we brought her to her post op check up.
The ulcer is more or less gone. We are all delighted. The dye left virtually no stain and you can't even see it with the naked eye anymore.
Thanks to everyone who posted on the thread. I'll save the info for future reference

yeh save it
|I don't think most vets would do this procedure only because they don't know how or lack knowledge or equipment
I;m. so glad that Magic is better..:)
Is this thread resolved ?

That's great! It's always encouraging to hear of an unusual treatment that does the trick--it means that your vet is willing to do what's right for the rabbit even if it isn't as commonly done. I'll remember this in the future as well!

the vet actually told me that she had discussions with cllegues in the UK about it and there are different opinions about the procedure. But the main thing is it worked!
I really appreciate my vet goes out and checks up on things (also the advice from this thread) rather than just following the same standard procedure.
I guess the thread could be renamed. "Magic's eye healed" or something:)

Latest posts

Back