Maaya's spaying aftercare?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itoshiixhito

Reaction score
It's freakin' ridiculous trying to find somewhere in Stanislaus county to get a rabbit spayed. It's like they've never heard of rabbits here. One guy I talked to said it wasn't even necessary to have female rabbits altered @_@

I called every clinic in the phone book for this county, and then whichever ones I could find online too. Only 4 or 5 places even see rabbits (one lady said they'd take a look at my horse....... I don't own a horse >_>...), and half of them wanted over $400 for it. I'm a poor college student for heaven sake!

But I
finally found somewhere local (Modesto Spay & Neuter Clinic) and reputable that isn't going to charge me an arm and a leg.

They said the whole thing will cost $120, but they don't have pain meds specifically for rabbits.

Is there somewhere else I can get the metacam? I heard there isn't a rabbit specific one. Just cat, dog, and horse I think. So I assume I'd want the cat one right, since they're about the same size?

The lady I talked to said bring food and a water bottle when I bring Maaya in. Is there other stuff I need to bring? I read about gas meds in one of the threads here. Do I need that too?

And what about after I bring her home? Do I need to have some sort of "bunny kit" put together for her? And I'm assuming she'll have stitches, so how do I keep her from pulling them out?

I apologize for the bombardment of questions. I'm just really anxious because I've never had an animal altered, Maaya's my baby and I want to make this go as smoothly as I can for her =/

Mrs. PBJ wrote:
I would have gas meds and her favorite veggies.

I had a whole list of stuff here is Jessi's thread she is a week out tomorrow and completely back to normal.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=56170&forum_id=16&page=1

Here is my thread hope that helps.
Ok cool :)

A few questions for you (apparently I'm full of them today XD)

What sort of probiotic, and what are they for?

Why baby food?
What the heck is a rice sock? XD
And what sort of gas meds am I looking for?

I rice sock is you take a sock and put rice in it. I nuke mine for 10 second then give them to her to lay on. Its help keep them warm. After surgery sometime they have a problem regulating their body temp.

Simethicone infant gas drops 1 cc every hour for three hours. That is the main ingredient. in gas meds I get myne at wally world for 4 bucks. Wal-mart brand.

Baby food if she had not eaten by day three I would have Mixed Critical care water and Baby food together. To kinda force feed her. To get her gut moving.

Bene bac you can get it at Petco and Petsmart. It is to help keep the good bacteria in balance so her gut will keep moving. That is the probiotic.

http://www.petco.com/product/14786/...Beneficial-Bacteria.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

This above amount should get you through 8 days I use half a tube at a time personally.

I would definitely get pain meds I could not imagine after seeing Jessi. I would never let a female go through that without pain meds.

Hope that helps

As far as pain meds, Metacam is better than nothing but certainly not an optimal choice. The best pain med for a rabbit is Buprenorphine (Buprenex). It is a narcotic and a controlled drug. It is safe and highly effective.....and it's effective for up to 12 hours per dose. It can be dosed orally (by mouth) or injected. An acceptable alternative that is not a controlled drug is Tramadol. I always plan for 5 days of pain meds but actually use only 3 days most of the time (we do laser surgery).

Randy

Canned pumpkin may be better than baby food, if you can find it.

I'm going to make her appointment in a week (Or as soon as I can locate the pain meds. I should hopefully have enough money then @_@)

---Have---
  • PetAg Bene-Bac Small Animal Powder .75oz
  • Target-brand Infants' Gas Simethicone Drops 1oz
  • PETCO Natural Premium Timothy Hay 16oz
---Still need---
  • Pain meds
  • Water dish
  • Veggies/salad
  • Critical Care/baby food/canned pumpkin (if she refuses to eat)
Anything I should add?

What I'm really worried about is that she'll pull at her stitches after she comes home. I have school/work so I won't be able to monitor her 24/7, so do you guys have any ideas?

You may want some pedialyte which is an infant electrolyte drink and great at keeping a bun hydrated and healthy when not eating well.

you may also want to pick another vet clinic , call them and explain that you want pain meds for after your rabbit's spay and ask them if you can buy a bottle of Metacam. You can have them call the Modesto Clinic to verify that the spay is scheduled. Then you need to get your rabbit's weight at the time of spay to calculate the dosage.
Off the top I cannot remember how to doseit but if I don't find it either Randy or Claire can answer this.

Remember that you probably will not need all this stuff but it is still a good idea to have it in the house after the spay and also formany other bunny problems.

Pain meds for the bun is very important. many vets give a pain injection after the surgery even if they do not send meds home. it sounds like this particular clinic will not provide any pain meds at all
I have the 1.5 mg/ml bottle

http://vetrxdirect.com/product/view/Metacam?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Metacam
you could also ask for tramadol butI do not know if it comes in a liquid or needs to be compounded

angieluv wrote:
You may want some pedialyte which is an infant electrolyte drink and great at keeping a bun hydrated and healthy when not eating well.

you may also want to pick another vet clinic, call them and explain that you want pain meds for after your rabbit's spay and ask them if you can buy a bottle of Metacam. You can have them call the Modesto Clinic to verify that the spay is scheduled. Then you need to get your rabbit's weight at the time of spay to calculate the dosage.
Off the top I cannot remember how to doseit but if I don't find it either Randy or Claire can answer this.

Remember that you probably will not need all this stuff but it is still a good idea to have it in the house after the spay and also formany other bunny problems.

Pain meds for the bun is very important. many vets give a pain injection after the surgery even if they do not send meds home. it sounds like this particular clinic will not provide any pain meds at all
I have the 1.5 mg/ml bottle

http://vetrxdirect.com/product/view/Metacam?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Metacam
you could also ask for tramadol butI do not know if it comes in a liquid or needs to be compounded
Thank you for your help!

Pedialyte. Got it ^_^

When I talked to the receptionist, she said they don't have something specifically for rabbits, but they have pain meds for cats and dogs. And she said if I really wanted something, they could probably sort something out.

As nice as she was, I think I'd rather talk to the actual vet XD

I'm going to go down there in person to make the appointment next week, and I'll talk to them about the meds. If not, then yeah, I'll definitely get it from somewhere else. I'd never put my baby through that without meds x_x

Almost all medication, including metacam, is used "off-label" for rabbits. The companies only certify it's use for cats or dogs and very rarely do they have something certified for rabbits.

However, any good rabbit vet is going to know what drugs can be used off label for rabbits. A good example is Revolution, rabbits are given the kitten dosage.

So it makes sense that the receptionist would say that they only have pain medication for cats/dogs but none for rabbits, because technically that's true. I would advise speaking directly to the vet and asking about pain medication.

My vet always states that the medication he is giving me is off label and I have to tell him I am aware of that each time he gives me medication like Revolution or Metacam. Not much other choice, and so many vets give the medication to rabbits off label that the risks are fairly well known.

-Dawn

Isn't the Metacam suspension typically made up at 1.5mg/mL?

They calculate the dose based on the mg/kg dosing instructions that come with the medicine.

Latest posts

Back