LUXATING PATELLA

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbitsmom

Reaction score
Well, I'm adopting a bunny (English Angora) who has been diagnosed with a luxating patella.

We think she is approximately 6 mos. old and she is coming out of a shelter so we don't know her background. The doctor in Chicago did an x-ray and said she definitely has a luxating patella and didn't think she was in pain.

I think I'm going to get a second opinion once I get her to my home, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this type of problem and if there are any easy things you can do to assist the bunny with this issue.

Thanks in advance!:apollo:

PM Bassetluv. I think Raphael had something similar at the start.

We need pictures! And bless you for taking in such a care-intensive rabbit. I have one word for you: clippers.

Minnie2.jpg

Minnie1.jpg

This is our new little girl, Minnie. We think she is an English Angora although the shelter she was staying in had to trim her because of mats. She doesn't look too bad, but we haven't seen her up close yet. A friend of mine is keeping her for me until this weekend when we will go and pick her up. We're so excited.

I agree that we are going to need a furminator or something like that! Oh Fun!!!

How big is she? She actually looks like a lionhead mix to me. That means less hair! Woot!

I highly recommend some good fine toothed combs. I've had to groom a number of mattedlong-haired buns at the local shelter lately. The main one I've been using is one with rotating pins. They're supposed to pull the hair less and they work nicely for working mats out. You won't want to use the furminator-type brushes till after all the mats are gone, or it'll hurt a lot.

I'll see when she arrives I guess, but I was told that they trimmed her up because she was so matted.

She had tufts on her ears and maybe that is why the shelter thought she was an english angora. IDK

We can't wait to get her. It sounds like she is fairly small and I guess the lionhead mix might make more sense, since the angoras can get pretty big, huh???

Yup, the actual angora breeds (English, French, Satin) are usually around 8 lbs or so. They're not common in shelters although we've had several in the last year. There's a local breeder, which explains it. Otherwise most of the long haired buns are usually lionhead, jersey wooley, or fuzzy lop mixes. And man, have I learned to hate fuzzy lop fur!!!

I don't know anything about luxating patella, but had to say, what a lovely bunny, so adorable. Looks like a stuffed toy. Congrats :).

NZminilops wrote:
I don't know anything about luxating patella, but had to say, what a lovely bunny, so adorable. Looks like a stuffed toy. Congrats :).

Thanks I can't wait to see her when her hair grows out a bit and she is a little older. We think she is about 6 months old.

We're really hoping she stays little, but who knows what will happen!

angieluv wrote:
I really have no idea what this means for a rabbit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxating_patella

I saw this article too, but I don't know what stage of luxation she is in. I think I'm going to take her to my vet here and see what she says.

I've had someone else tell me that there might be some holistic things we can do for her and age is on her side.

Wow shes adorable! Congrats! Is this the one you were telling me about before- I think you said she was an angora?

She looks more like a lionhead to me too- just based on her face shape and body type. Reminds me of Tumnus a bit actually. Regardless, shes adorable!

Ive never heard of a luxating patella before! Very strange!

Congrats on your new addition!

Thanks, we'll see what she really is when we get her home.

Hopefully, if the weather cooperates, we are going to pick her up this coming Saturday.

We've been told she is an angora, but she is pretty small so who knows. Fun stuff!

Talk with you soon!

Could be a lionhead/angora mix? Shes so adorable though! Do you have a single male you will bond with her or will she be a single bun?

Haley,

Minnie is going to be bonded with Michelle's boy, Zachary (American Fuzzy Lop). She is crazy about the fuzzy ones and is very anal about their coats. This little girl is going to the perfect family home. Michelle will be such a good mommy for her.

We are so excited about getting her. She is Michelle's 17th birthday present and we told my hubby last night and he was so annoyed, but he got over it pretty quickly.

He's a big softie. Wait until he sees her! He'll fall in love too!

Laura

Hi, I know that surgery can be done if the luxating patella gets to a stage where it is causing pain. The surgery is often successful too.

Prior to that the best thing to do is keep the rabbit at a healthy weight (obesity makes it worse) and if there is pain, medication can be used.

I'd be interested in hearing about a holistic approach, but I may be a hard sell, considering I only know of it from the canine perspective. I've had 2 of my own dogs with Luxating Patella, and many fosters through the years with the same condition - all with various grades. I'm supposing the holistic approach would be used just to ease some discomfort sometimes, since surgery is needed to correct the actual problem?

Leaf wrote:
I'd be interested in hearing about a holistic approach, but I may be a hard sell, considering I only know of it from the canine perspective. I've had 2 of my own dogs with Luxating Patella, and many fosters through the years with the same condition - all with various grades. I'm supposing the holistic approach would be used just to ease some discomfort sometimes, since surgery is needed to correct the actual problem?

I was also thinking holistic Leaf. I can't wait to take Minnie to my vet and find out what grade of luxating patella she thinks she has.

I've heard surgery can be successful, but I'd like to know if there are other treatments we can do to help her that don't require surgery. I'm going to start a blog once we pick her up this Saturday and I'll keep you guys posted on her prognosis then.

We're so excited to get her! Can't wait to see what we can do to help her out!

Thanks for all the support everyone!

Latest posts

Back