Luv isnt well

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
My bunny Luv who is about 6 or 7 years old. I have had her for about half of her life has all of suddenly lost use of her back legs.. I had her out and I noticed that she was dragging them.. When I picked her up to check her out see pee'd on me several times.

I have barely any funds because my husband and I have seperated.She is eating some and drinking some. peeing and pooping.. She doesnt seem in pain. I have her resting on a towel and trying to keep her close to her food and water. I talked to a vet and they said after a bunny is paralized there isnt much that can be done for her. The vet suggested arthritis or a broken back, someone else said maybe a stroke. The vet said I can keep her as comfortable as possible and clean her from her not being able to control her urine flow and watch her closely.

Is it wrong of me to keep her living? I am sure within a few days I can come up with the money to have her put down. Has anyone had a similar problem and ran test and the problem was fixed.. I can't justify spending money I don't have to know what happened only to still lose her.. I am really sad. :( As of right now she looks good still.. if that makes any sense. her coat is shiny, her mood is good.. What do I do. Keep her around and watch and take extra care of her, or let her go????

Cristy

If you can get the funds for a vet within a few days, I'd recommend waiting. It might be treatable or managable. Many paralysed rabbits live long, happy years even with their disability. Check out these videos of Cocoa, who is about 10 years old and has been living with spinal problems for several years that keep him from walking on his own. His owner used to walk him with a sling but earlier this year got a cart for him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VFEXOMdgcGw&search=Rabbit disabled wheel chair

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AyxH9d5AoJY&mode=related&search=Rabbit disabled wheel chair

In the meantime, check out this thread for tips on how to keep Luv comfortable and clean:
Caring for Sick Rabbits

I really like this site. It gives you pictures and examples of how to set up a rabbit's cage and how to help him eat when he is affected by paralysis or severe head tilt.
http://www.mohrskc.org/hrswebpg19.html

I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time. We'll be here, for any help you need.

:hug2

Poor old girl :(. I don't think I'd look into putting her down just yet. My outlook on euthanizing animals is if they seem to be suffering and in pain, it would probably be for the best. She seems happy to me, even with the loss of her back legs.

Here's a story about a rabbit that has a cart. It's the first story

http://www.vrra.org/special-rabbits.htm

When rabbits are in pain, they will not eat or drink. So the fact that you bun is eating and drinking is a good sign.

- Can it move itself around the cage with some sort of ease?

- Are its poops normal looking?

- Does it urinate all over itself?

- Does it eat its normal amount of food?

Here are some points to remember should you decide that you don't want to put her down. Make sure that she can move around the cage and still get back to eat and drink on her own! Make sure her poops are normal looking. You don't want her to urinate all over herself because this can cause infection. She can no longer clean her ears so they need to get cleaned often.

Good luck with her. I currently also have a 10 year old rabbit that drags his back legs. However, despite this, he appears to be very happy. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have!!!

Sharon

Thanks to everyone for the advice and well wishes. I feel a little better. She isnt eating much pellets that I can see, but eating lots of hay. I am gonna soften some up and see if I can get her to eat them tonight.. She is pooping as normal and I am cleaning her from her peeing.. She is making her way around the cage pretty good. I will keep everyone updated.

Cristy

Sorry Luv is having problems.

Does she let you hold her comfortably or does she resist and try to squirm away. If you can hold her, you might try to massage her legs and rub her leg muscles to help strengthen them. Does she still eat out of your hand?

Rainbows! :pray:

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
She can no longer clean her ears so they need to get cleaned often.

Sharon
Hi Sharon,

What would you suggest for the best and easiest way of cleaning bunnie ears? Our lop-earred bunnie, Binkie, is currently wearing an e-collar and my have to wear it long term.

~Jim

Hi Cristy,

I wish I had some good advice for you concerning Luv. Others have covered most of what I know.

What I can do is send good thoughts and prayers to help you through this difficult time.

~Jim

Poor little girl:(. I'm sending prayers and good thoughts her way:pray:.

I agree with the others, I would give it awhile because paralysis can be managed. Does she still seem interested in life (taking favorite treats, enjoying being petted)? If she does, I would take that as a sign that she isn't ready to go yet.

:pray::clover::clover::clover::pray:

Luv still looks real perky. Cleaning herself still.. Has a real pretty coat still.. I tried to feed her wet pellets but she fought me so I left it in her bowl. Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Cristy

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
Jim,

I use a q-tip and gently clean the inside with mineral oil. This loosens up the wax. If you do it often, it won't build up.

Sharon
Thanks, Sharon!

I thought that was it. I'm pretty sure that I've got some mineral oil in the house, if not I'll pick some up at CVS tomorrow.

I think we'll take Binkie's e-collar off for a while this weekend and keep a very close eye on her. She's starting to look a little shabby because she can't groom or clean. She's normally a very clean little lady. She's never seems obsessive about cleaning, but obviously doesn't like to be messy or dirty. She's even gotten to the point where she'll let me stroke her from nose to tail (a rarity). It must feel good after two weeks of the e-collar. It's so sad to watch her trying to groom and all she can do is clean the inside of her collar. She's got the cleanest collar in town, though ;)

~Jim

From what you described it could be a pinched nerve.

Ed

luv hasn't really changed any. She drinks her water, eats a little baby carrotts, eats hay. She is getting around as best as possible with her front feet. She is cleaning herself. She still has no control of her peeing. I am cleaning her up twice a day.Sh isnt eating much of her pellets. She is real alert and letting me baby her.

If its a pinched nerve is there anything that can be done?

Cristy

I'm not sure what can be done for a pinched nerve, but it is good to hear that Luv is still alert.

If it is because of inflamation, swelling, baby asprin may help.

Ed

I will pick some up. How much would I give her? She is about 7 or 8 lbs would be my best guess.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back