Lumpy fur??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Okay, here's the story...

When we brought Flower home, her fur was all urine-soaked and matted pretty much all over. It's been about a month, and she still feels like she has some matted fur underneath her coat. There are matted chunks of fur that fall out every now and then (more lately than usual) that are obviously chunks of matted, urine-discolored fur. Is this what I'm feeling when her fur feels lumpy underneath?

I'm going to take her in for a general check-up here soon (when Maisie's feeling better, and I can take her in to be spayed), so I'll know for sure. The lady that checked Flower out initially checked under her main fur, and said she didn't have any skin probs, and her fur has been lumpy (just small lumps, about the size of the matted chunks that fall out) like that since she came home, so I'm not terribly concerned...just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this particuler phenomenon.

Thanks, guys! :)

Probably. I'd give it a closer look and try to break apart the matts with a small, sharp pair of scissors. (Be very careful!)

Pam

Olive oil works good on mats, helps loosen them to get it out & it will make her all cute & shiny.

Honestly though I'd just cut them :D but we used to have two golden retreivers and if you've had them you'd know how bad they matt :D. The bad part about matts is that they really pull on the skin and are quite painful, especially if they are right against the skin.

nes.

Really? My sister has a Golden Retriever and she has never had mats, and that's being an outside dog. :?

As for the mats on the bunny, I'd agree it's best to either try to work them out or cut them but a bunny that doesn't want you fussing with with them is not a good one to beusing sissors or clippers with.

So, let me see if I have the information correct:

Put a little olive oil and try to brush it out? What kind of brush should I use? Flea comb? Baby comb?

The only reason I haven't tried this so far is because I tried to brush her once, and she kinda freaked out. Should I be Big Kahuna Bunny and take charge to handle this with her?

I must be a bit of a wuss with handling the bunnies...lol!! :?:D

I use sharp tipped scissors to work under the matt and cut it in half so it can be removed. Blunt scissors can be used to cut small matts off, but don't work well for getting under matts close to the skin.

Pam

I'm just worried about hurting her because she gets kinda jerky (I mean quick movements) when I'm trying to do much of anything. She's very lovey dovey, so I suspect it's not necessarily a trust issue as much as the fact that the mats might be painful for her?

Is there anything to help loosen them so it's easier, or should I take her in and have someone more experienced at the vet's help me with it?

pamnock wrote:
I use sharp tipped scissors to work under the matt and cut it in half so it can be removed. Blunt scissors can be used to cut small matts off, but don't work well for getting under matts close to the skin.

Pam

Latest posts

Back