Lumps under the chin / top of chest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TumpieRabbit

Reaction score
My sister has a 4 year old female bunny, honestly I don't know what breed it is, it has perky ears that's all I know, I've only seen it 2 times. Overnight the bunny developed 3 swollen masses under her chin on the top of her chest, they weren't there the night before. She went to the vet today and when she came back she said the vet told her that it was either an infection or cancer. Before any of this I told her my best guess would be abscess, but I'm not a vet, just a guess. She said the vet told her the bunny's lymph nodes were swollen and that we would know within 4 or 5 days of treating it with oral antibiotics if it was cancer or an infection and if it was cancer that he would euthanize her at no charge for my sister. While I admire his generosity I can't help to think that it was a little cavalier to say it's cancer if it doesn't respond to one particular antibiotic without at least a needle biopsy first no? What do you guys think? Any opinions on the best way to proceed would be great, thanks.

Jim

The rabbit is a house rabbit from what I am told. As for the vet, she said that he didn't specialize in rabbits but has treated many small animals including rabbits. Depending on the outcome I told her to consider getting a second opinion.

It's really odd that the lumps came up that quickly.

Warbles (fly larvae) is a possibility. They usually appear around the neck or legs. That's why I asked if the rabbit was outside. If I were her, I'd get the rabbit to another vet as soon as possible.

I would definitely have her get a second opinion at a rabbit savvy vet. Sounds like there are too many things here, so you can't be sure as of yet. Try to help her finda better vet, where did you take Thumps when he was sick recently? I hope for the best, I can't see how something so big emerged so quickly...Prayers.

Just fyi-regarding cancer, yes, they need to either do a needle biopsy. Mine couldn't tell that way, my Angel had what she thought was a tumour or a cyst. She did surgery to remove the tumour and sent it off for biopsy and the results came back that is was mammory cancer. She got it all, thank God.

TumpieRabbit wrote:
Yeah I have been skimming the net looking up stuff and I came across warbles, could they be that large though? Looks like a peach size lumps.

Should read "pea sized". You can generally see the warble's breathing hole, although in advanced stages, it can appear to be a scabbed over wound.

Impossible to diagnose what the lumps are over the internet - the vet was the best option in this case.

Generally, the lump is removed and biopsied after. The material in the lumps is generally too thick to go through the needle, and it is preferred not to break the lump open unless slicing an abscess open to drain it.

Pam

My rabbit Effie developed a large lump under her chin, seemingly overnight. It turned out to be an abcess, there was a secondary smaller one I hadn't noticed too. The vet sucessfully removedthem and she is fit and well again now. I agree getting her to the vet is the best course of action and fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Whatever happened with this bunny?

sas :?

I'm sorry, I forgot to update this, been so busy lately. Unfortunately she had to have th ebunny put to sleep by the vet. I recommended a good vet in her area to get a second opinion but evidently she thought I was bashing the first vet she went to, not so, all I said was to get a second opinion because when a doctor just starts throwing medications at a problem because he isn't sure of the diagnosis, to me that says he doesn't know. Besides any doctor worth his salt will always support your decision to obtain a second opinion, after all we are talking about life and death, and to rabbit lovers it might as well be your kid. Anyway, at least the rabbit went peacefully.

Binky Free Karly. Sweet Dreams.

Latest posts

Back