Lump on back of neck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisdoc

Chris
Reaction score
I was just stroking Houdini and have noticed he has a lump on the back of his neck. It´s not hard and moves and he isn´t in any pain or discomfort when I touch it. He had his jab a couple of weeks ago in around that spot and wondered if it could be a reaction to this. I will make an appointment to see the vet asap. Typical that these things always happen over the weekend so only emergency cover. I have checked the Bandy and Snowy and they are OK.

Do you think he´ll be Ok until Monday, he´s eating fine and has been running about all day.

Now I´m getting obsessed with it. I have just had another look and it actually moves, I can move it up and down between the shoulder blades, quite a weird feeling, could it be fatty tissue. It´s probably around the size of a marble.

I think you're probably fine waiting until Monday to call your vet. I was wondering if it might have to do with the injection too. Since we don't have vaccinations here, I'm not very familiar with what type of reaction might occur with injections, but I did find info that there can be the side effect of a small lump from the injection and that it will clear up. Of course if you see any other symptoms you'll want to get him to the vet.

Aww, poor Houdini :( Make sure you let me know how he is.

http://www.summerviewvets.com/myxomatosis-rabbits-health-06-11.asp
http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/...f_vaccination_for_your_rabbit_tcm80-69638.pdf

Last edited:
Jenny, thanks for that. Glad I found it but now worried until I see the vet. Having said that, he seems absolutely fine and am just watching him giving himself a really good clean. I also did read about a small lump which can happen if some bunnies have a bit of an allergic reaction. I will definitely keep you posted, I´m going to ring the vet´s office today to make an appointment as soon as I can, I just want to have it checked.

Just to update as I spoke to the vet this morning, luckily she was in the surgery. I explained what he had and she said that this can happen after the inoculation as it is subcutaneous. I just now need to keep my eye on it and make sure it doesn´t get any bigger, inflamed or raw. I do feel much better having her say that but if I have any doubts, I will definitely take him for a visit to see her.

By the way, doesn´t seem to be anything wrong with him, he´s behind the sofa digging at the plastic covering on the cables...there is just no keeping this bunny down lol.

Injection site reaction makes sense if that's where they did the vaccination. Definitely keep an eye on it as it could be something more like an abscess. Decide how big you think it is so you can compare back and see if it's getting smaller or bigger.
In vet school we actually have a clinical skills exercise where we measure our fingertips and then blindly reach into a box and have to tell the proctor giving the exam how big various objects are; that skill comes in handy for stuff like this.

That´s good advice as it´s so easy to forget the size it was if it changes. I suppose I reckoned it was about the size of a small marble but not as round just a bit flatter. The vet who did the injection did go through it with me really well and she did say I should touch it often to keep checking there is no variation and that it doesn´t turn into something I should be worrying about. At the moment, it feels quite softish and actually moves but it doesn´t bother him at all, he´s his usual mischievous self. I will definitely be having another feel today just to make sure of the size.For those who have problems picking up their buns, I am so glad I persevered as now he does allow me to get hold of him and it´s been so important that he´s comfortable with it the last few days for me to have a good look. A little craisin is a great help as well lol.

Latest posts

Back