lucy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi guys just varna here
after lucy lost the weight we put her bk onto her burgess excel food but she has ballooned again
with the excel food you cAn ONLY GIVE A LITTLE OR ELSE SHE WOULD BE MASSIVE
so she gets a tsp of pellets every morning and cabbage on a night time
unlimited hay and water
does that sound right
as the vet has SAID THIS BUT I DONT WANT HER TO BE SO HUNGRY

I'm not familiar with the food you're feeding or with your bunny, but I did want to say that with adequate vegetables, unlimited hay, and water I don't think Lucy will be hungry (at least not truly hungry - she may want more, but if she's being fed a nutritionally sound diet you shouldn't have to worry about her being hungry).

The only thing I'd consider doing since I don't really have any back information on Lucy is to add more vegetables to her diet. Cabbage can be really gassy for a bunny and should only be fed in small amounts. A variety of vegetables will help get her all the nutrients that she needs. Good veggies are green or red leaf lettuce, romaine, carrot tops, dandelion greens, parsley, cilantro, and the like. Carrots are good in small quantities as more of a treat as are fresh fruits. Cabbage can still be included as well.

What kind of hay is she being fed? Are you able to switch her pellets to see if that would help in maintaining her weight? Since I'm not familiar with the pellets you're feeding, can you let us know if they're alfalfa or timothy based? Also how old is Lucy? All of these answers can help us to better help you and Lucy.

Please keep us updated on how she's doing.

Hi,

I am assuming you in the UK based on the food you are feeding. I really think we need the rest of the story here. If we have a history, we might can help you. A rabbit's diet should be primarily grass hay such as timothy, oat, brome, orchard grass, etc. Pellets should be a very small part of their diet. In my opinion, the alfalfa/timothy debate is irrelevent since pellets should be such a small part of the diet that it should not matter what they are made of. Some veggies, cabbage is a primary culprit, can cause gas in many buns. Some can tolerate it more than others.

I would really like to hear the rest of the story here....and see exactly what your bun's history is. I would also suggest offering a very limited amount of pellets along with free choice hay and water. Appropriate veggies can be offered in limited amounts. We have a very large population of domestic rabbits and we use pellets only to maintain weight and body conditioning. Some of our "weight watcher" buns get no pellets.....and some of our sick or elderly rabbits get free choice. All have free choice hay at all times.

Randy

:yeahthat:Randy always has good advice. I try...lol...and fail :nod, but it's all good 'cause then good people like Randy come and help out.

I'm also interested in hearing the full story here. Best wishes to you and Lucy.

Randy thank goodness your out "here" and am curious myself to hear the rest of the health history.. Can buns have Thyroid problems as I've had cats that had this issue.. And would love to be "schooled" on this matter..

Latest posts

Back