Lucky keeps shedding!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesel

Reaction score
Hi, I have what appears to be an otherwise healthy intact mini Satin male who won't stop shedding! This has been a problem off and on for a couple of years. Now he is 4 and it seems to be worse. He sheds any time of the year. He is presently shedding now. I tried to put him on 'show rabbit' food, thinking that it may be dietary but the little moron won't eat the expensive stuff.

So now I am back to L and M or Kaytee or one of those.

What would cause a rabbit to shed all year round? If it is dietary, are there rabbit vitamins available? I haven't seen any at Agway or Petco.

I think that L&M is not a very good pellet. a lot of people think kaytee is not very good either but I do use the kaytee timothy pellets because I just cannot order everythig on-line. Get timothy pellets if you can.

Some rabbits shed a lot but you could still improve on his diet . The hay looks great but not the alfalfa hay..too rich for 4 yr old bun.

Do you give greens?

Vitamins are not recommnded for rabbits. Just improve the diet.

if he is shedding a lot try to brush him a lot so that he is not ingesting so much hair.
I just looked at your link the Sweet meadows timothy pellet would be a great pellet(not the alfalfa one)..it is low in fat and protein and high in fiber.I would order pellets like this if it wasn't so expensive.

http://www.sweetmeadowfarm.com/pel_rabtimothy.html

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

Try to take the time to read about different pellets and also veggies. The 2nd link is from our library and has great info.

It might even be molting as opposed to "shedding". Molting takes longer and goes in lines on the coat, shedding doesn't, it goes everwhere, the whole coat sheds hair at all times during shedding, molting is much worse and is more in a line formation as far as hair loss (you'll notice the difference).:)

Diet definitely has alot to do with it, no denying that. So, depending on what the bun has been fed, it could make a major difference. A change in the buns environment can also be a factor as can the weather changes.

Hi, I guess I still don't understand--what is the difference between shedding and molting? Aren't they both shedding?

Cheesel wrote:
Hi, I guess I still don't understand--what is the difference between shedding and molting? Aren't they both shedding?

Update--Since I started feeding him the Sweet Meadow brand, his shedding/molting problem seems to be better. Also, what's great about Sweet Meadow is that it comes from my area, too!

Back