Louis getting his tear duct flush today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayuri

Reaction score
I have to drop Louis off in about 3 hours for his tear duct flush....still not sure what it intails

Fingers crossed they wont have to knock him out to do it and he is a good boy.

With any luck this will be the begining of the end of Louis snuffleitus - he isnt as bad as he was before the antibiotic but he still has a strong friendship with the sneeezes.
He has been a REALLY good boy about having his eye medicine in. I have an injury to my eye (my cat did it) and I have to put this stuff in my eyes and it always makes them feel better instantly and I do wonder whether it is the same thing for Louis -- also wonder if the scratches will heal or whether we are going to have to do this regularly now :(

Lucky I should read this before you go.

I have had 2 bunnies that have had multiple tear duct flushes and it was no problem at all... mine never were sedated norwere appts made specifically for the flush. If you have a good vet this should not be something to worry about.

Oh wow...hugs to you and Louis...and prayers that it goes well, and that he doesn't need to be put under for this...

Poor little guy...I hope, as you've mentioned, that it helps immediately, and he doesn't need it regularly...

Well Louis had his flush canceled again today so we are going to try again tomorrow :?

He is in his cage now oblivious to his big day tomorrow...if only he knew.

The vet was quiet sure he wouldnt need to be asleep to have the flush done but she wants to have him in to be on the safe side...it doesnt help that he is a total wimp

Well I drop fluff butt off at the vets this morning, along with some hay and most of his breakfast. He was weighed and he is 2.5kg ish and Erica said that it was a fine weight for him.

Please keep your fingers crossed that he doesnt need a general(sp?) not only is it not good for Louis and I dont want to put him through that but also I cant afford it :(

I can pick him about 4.30 apparently, although they will call if I can pick him up earlier....Grace doesnt seem bothered that he isnt here; but she probably thinks that he is bouncing in the bedroom and happily munching on the big bunch of mint I gave her when I came home...she is going to be coming out of her cage soon, well as soon as I have had a nap anyway LOL

Well he is home!

I had a phone call to say that he had been done and I could pick him up at 4.50pm - then she says "he eats a lot doesnt he?" "YES!" She said that he had eaten all the food I had taken for him so she had given him some more that they had - I think she thought I had underestimated his apeitite - I explained that the food was the remander of his breakfast because I thought food would distract him from being in a strange place so I had only given him a little bit an that whenever Louis gets his food he will eat and eat untill it is all gone. - She was a bit surprised and said she would take out the food she had given him.

When I got there I was told he had eaten almost all his hay and pooed EVERYWHERE in his cage. They said that the size of his poos were really good, because they are so big, and that they were really surprised how much he had managed to produce, I said "try living with him" LOL

As for his procedure...they didnt have to knock him out but they did have to practically sit on him to do the flush...SO not surprised he is a wimp bless him. Erica said to continue putting his eye medicine and that should also flush through to his tear ducts and clear up anything risidual there and she didnt think that she would need to see him again but to take him back if we need to.

He wasnt looking too happy when I got him, you can tell everythig with Louis by his ears. Because he is part lop he can have his ears up or lopped over, if they are lopped then he unsure and not very happy, if they are up then he is fine and dandy. When I got him they were totally lopped and he had the stuff from his flush all over his face. He was looking about at everything but didnt seem pleased to see me or anything :(

I popped him back in his cage when we came in and I have left him there to settle himself down. I gave him a big bunch of mint which was eaten in about 2 minutes and when I went to check on him a moment ago he was completely zonked out and didnt even notice me come into the room, where normally he is straight up wanting food or to come out and play.

They loved Louis in the vets, they were talking about what an unusual colour and pattern he had in his fur and how sweet he is. I dont think he is their biggest fan at the moment but he is a very forgiving bunny so Im sure he will get over it. :D

Latest posts

Back