Louie and his ongoing problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEAUKEZRA

Reaction score
Louie has recovered from his head tilt but unfortunately he has continued to lose weight and has now developed an infection in his jaw and a large abcess. He doesn't lay down completely anymore because he can't get back up but he is still eating, begs for treats and hangs out happily with his friend Bernie. His legs appear to have some weakness.

I took him to the vet today and after talking to him we've decided not to have the surgery on the abcess and to keep him happy and comfortable until it is time to let him go. I've been feeding him Critical Care twice a day for months and he eats plenty on his own but he continues to waste away. He's on antibiotics and Buprenorphine for pain which I can alternate with Ibuprofen.

Everyone says that I'll know when it's time to make the decision to let him go but I'm having trouble even thinking about it. I would never want him to suffer and he's still very Louie right now so I'm sure it's not time yet.

I wanted to post this here because I know that this forum is the one place that people won't say "oh poor Louie" but think "it's just a rabbit" so thanks for reading.

Bernie and Louie in happier days....

100_0467.jpg

we would never say "it's just a rabbit". Rabbits are family to many people. I can understand that is is your baby and you don't want to let him go. He will tell you when he is ready. He loves you alot you can tell. Yes let him live happily thats the best thing you can do. He is sooo cute.What a sweet picture of him and Bermie.

Live Love Laugh

Crystal

BEAUKEZRA wrote:
Louie has recovered from his head tilt but unfortunately he has continued to lose weight and has now developed an infection in his jaw and a large abcess. He doesn't lay down completely anymore because he can't get back up but he is still eating, begs for treats and hangs out happily with his friend Bernie. His legs appear to have some weakness.

I took him to the vet today and after talking to him we've decided not to have the surgery on the abcess and to keep him happy and comfortable until it is time to let him go. I've been feeding him Critical Care twice a day for months and he eats plenty on his own but he continues to waste away. He's on antibiotics and Buprenorphine for pain which I can alternate with Ibuprofen.

Everyone says that I'll know when it's time to make the decision to let him go but I'm having trouble even thinking about it. I would never want him to suffer and he's still very Louie right now so I'm sure it's not time yet.

I wanted to post this here because I know that this forum is the one place that people won't say "oh poor Louie" but think "it's just a rabbit" so thanks for reading.

Bernie and Louie in happier days....

100_0467.jpg
i have mixed feelings about what you are doing --though i do-not know the extent of the abscess.,,and yes,,i am going through that now with my rex-she has had abscesses on her rear foot and front paw,-i treated her with azithromycin,metacam,betadine,probotics--with great sucess.//.my cottontail had a facial abscess 3 years ago,-and completely recovered-after surgery..//.-i have spent thousands of dollars investing in medical research/education--treating exotic animals in my rehabb,,-yes,i have held them as they died in my arms ,...the decision has been made for louie--,,itmay provedifficult to live with though,..sincerely james waller:pray:it is better to love than to have never loved at all...

Oh my Darlin - Thank you

James Waller - Everything about this has been difficult to live with. I don't know how long I'm supposed to poke and prod him, fill him with medicine, force feed him,stress him out at the vet all while his body is working against him. He is weak and the vettold me that even with the surgery it will not stop what is happening otherwise which is that he's dying. I want him to be happy until that happens and not suffer in pain while he recovers from surgery. I'll never know for sure if it's the right decision.

I think you are making the right decision. You are making him happy and keeping him comfortable. You are allowing him to enjoy what time he has left. That is the best thing you can do.

Crystal

We had a similar problem with Mel. He got an abscess on his jaw, so, we had it cleaned out and put him on antibiotics. Unfortunately, it came back and xrays showed it was bone cancer, not teeth problems. We were able to keep him for about four months till it affected his health too much. We wish you luck, as it's not an easy thing to say goodbye, even under the best of circumstance.:pray:

I'm so sorry about Louie. I think you're making the right decision - he can enjoy his last however long with you and Bernie. No matter what decision you make I think you (I certainly do) torture yourself that you should have made the other decision. At least you can spend this time with him cuddling him and knowing he is enjoying his treats, and his cuddles with you and Bernie. Two years ago I had very similar surgery performed on my darling Smokey. She died 4 days later and all I can think of is that I spent those last days tormenting her - flushing out her abscess drains several times a day. I wish those weren't my memories of her last days. No two cases are identical, ever, there are so many factors that affect surgery and post-surgery recovery, so it's no good comparing how other rabbits recovered. It seems as if your vet is in total agreement with the course you are taking, so try to remember that in the darker times - if your vet felt you were doing the wrong thing, they would be sure to advise you of that, I would think.

Give Louie a hug from me, and take care of yourself too.

Andrea

Thank you for your support. I have been going back and forth in my mind about what to do but I know the surgery isn't going to save him. He's doing ok right now so I'll enjoy the time I have left.

you have to do what feels right and if you need more time with him and he's not suffering then thats what you need to do.:sickbunny:

Back