Lots of stuff...and a few questions.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almi

Reaction score
Okay.

If anyone remembers, I used to have just Emmy, my 6-year-old dwarf hotot doe. Then my stepmom brought home Blue, a 4-year-old French lop buck. They accidentally got together one day, and Ollie and his sisters were born. I kept Ollie, and I still have him. He is 3 years old...obviously. None of these three rabbits are neutered. About a year and a half ago, I moved out of my parents' house, and they insisted I leave Blue, so I took Emmy and Ollie with me. Then,in February, Igot Lio for Valentine's day. She's a 6 month old spayed dwarf lionhead.

So we've all seen the thread where Ollie got himself and the girls out of their cages, and his mother is now pregnant with his children. I've been putting off getting them fixed for so long because my vets are so expensive, and I've decided that it's time I NEED to stop putting it off. Emmy cannot continue to have litters like this (I seriously can't believe I let it happen a second time, and am STILL kicking myself, despite being excited for babies), and I must admit that Ollie's spraying is not pleasant, even though I have barriers all around the cage.

But before we get into that...here is my rant.

So I had left Blue with my parents when I left. My stepmom insisted that he was "her" rabbit. And now, about a 4-6 weeksago, I hear from my sister over MSN (my parents have this thing with not calling me...we don't exactly have a flowery past) that they are wanting to get rid of Blue. So I offered to post up an ad on Craigslist to see if I could help them do so. Then, I had decided that, after my three I already had, I did NOT want more rabbits for a while. I was just too busy running my rodent rescue (I have a friend that runs a bunny rescue).

Well, I did have one person that was genuinely interested, and I got her phone number and was texting her saying that I just need to get a hold of my parents...which was impossible! I tried calling my stepmom a few times, and she did not answer. My sister later told me that my stepmom said to "call her, and if she doesn't answer to leave a message." So I called her and left her a message on May 10th. She got back to me...3 weeks later? Yeah, and I ended up missing her call because I was shop vac-ing bunny cages. So I immediately called her back, and still no answer! /headdesk

I ended up finally getting a hold of my DAD, and we went to go get Blue on Sunday.

What I saw when I got there appalled me. He was laying in his cage on his belly, felt warm, and seemed to have slightly labored breathing. His cage was filthy. His litterbox...another story. So I went to work collecting Blue's things...his water bottle, hayrack, food dish. He had no toys. I picked up his litter box and nearly dropped it because it was so heavy. It was almost impossible to dump out. I discovered (under the layer of poo on top) that they were using pine shavings for litter, and underneath THAT was a layer of clay cat litter. o_O

I ended up throwing the entire litter box away. His cage trays were so full of dirty bedding and poop and food that I couldn't even slide them out. And again, more pine bedding. His cage was just...dusty, gross, and just effing disgusting. He had no hay provided for him. His supplies consisted of a large bag of pine bedding that was nearly empty, a small bag of hay that was nearly empty, about a cup or two of low-quality alfalfa based pellets, which had obviously gotten wet, and a little bag of crap rabbit treats that were obviously never fed to him. All of this I threw away.

While I was cleaning the cage, my dad was sitting there holding Blue, and he was commenting that the rabbit was "so happy that he was drooling." This prompted me to check his mouth. And while I didn't find any abscesses, I noticed his teeth didn't look right. I've never seen a rabbit's second set of incisors before, and I could see them poking out from behind his top first set. His bottom incisors were crooked.

After I got Blue home, I checked him over, and I discovered that he is missing a lot of fur going from his chest all the way down to his genitals. He snorts and obviously has a lot of trouble breathing when I tip him over on his back. His nose seems to always be wet, but I can't tell if it's running. While I was holding him, he was making me incredibly warm. His ears were burning hot. I plopped his bottominto some cool water and misted his back and head with a spray bottle to help cool him off. I couldn't tell if he was just really hot or if he had a fever, but he didn't feel like a normal bunny does.

So Blue is hanging out in my large bathroom with a CLEAN litter box (which he didn't seem to even understand until I put a large amount of poops and peed-on hay in it), good quality food, hay, lots of toys, and space to hop about. He has a vet appointment on Thursday to get him all checked over.

Pics.

Here's him eating some pellets that he dumped on the floor. His right ear folds like that because of an injury you'll see in one of the following pics.

xclrerofiu8.jpg

xclrerofiu9.jpg

His teefs. You can see how his second set sticks out on top in the second pic. And you can see how the bottom ones are crooked.

xclrerofiu12.jpg

xclrerofiu11.jpg

His nose always looks wet.

xclrerofiu14.jpg

Missing fur.

xclrerofiu18.jpg

xclrerofiu19.jpg

And his ears...they look weird on the ends. All I could think of is that they got frostbitten or something...but does anyone have any other ideas?I don't think his earsused to look like this, but I could be wrong.

xclrerofiu20.jpg

This is an injury he got a few years ago. You can see that it was sliced all the way through and almost went to the edge of the ear - he and Ollie got in a tussle. I may have posted about it, not sure. But I took him in to get him stitches - against my parents' will. They kept telling me he'd be fine, but I didn't exactly want him to rip the end of his ear off. But anyway, this ear also looks blue on the end.

xclrerofiu21.jpg

Okay, let's go way back in the post now to where I say I want to get all of these bunnies altered. I've finally found a place that does it for a *very* reasonable price. Here's my concern - Blue has been on pine bedding, and I use pelleted pine (cat litter) for their litter. I've heard that rabbits have died under anesthetic after being on pine or cedar. Do you think this will affect them? And how long will I have to wait until Blue can be fixed since he was on the pine? I could probably look this up, but I just wanted some thoughts/opinions.

Whew, okay, I think I'm done now. I was extremely pissed at my parents when I went to get Blue and I needed to get it off my chest.

First off he is a beautiful bun :Dwhat a shame that he has been living like that but ya can't blame yourself for it. The tummy makes me think urine scald maybe if he has been lying on soiled shavings a lot. The ears maybe mites and scratching a lot.

If he is drooling he could have molar spurs which have knocked his front teeth out of line usually the back ones cause the drooling. The vets should be able to do them when they neuter him.

Hopefully once he has been away from the shaving his breathing will get better. and then he should be ok for a neuter

He is too cute, glad you got him and are get ting him checked by the vet. I have nothing to offer and agree with everything Polly said. Thankfully his teeth dont look too bad and if it is the back ones then hopefully after getting them filed it will straighten the front ones out.

They say to wait two months after bad litter and to do a blood test. I believe.

Aww, that poor beautiful boy :( I hope things get better for him. He looks like such a sweetie. Are you still looking for a new home for him?

I agree with Polly,the fur loss ismost likely from dirty conditions and poor nutrition. I have seen this sort of thing quite a bit. As for the breathing problems, if he doesn't have any goop inside his front paws and it's just a clear discharge from his nose, give it about three days and see if it gets better. If it doesn't show any improvement in that time, see a vet.

Latest posts

Back