Lots of Cage Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeyGirl

Reaction score
Well, we were looking to take in a family's bunny(that I work w/) but they ended up giving it to a family member. So, I've continued to look around for a bunny or two. Well, we've found a girl & boy (both fixed) that someone's trying to rehome. At the moment, we're waiting for daddy/hubby's final approval. He's not said no but he's not said yes...yet.

Anyways, I'm looking at having to build them a NIC cage. I just have a few questions. I have the right size grids and I have extra coroplast but how big, wide, tall does it need to be for 2. (One's a himi and the other's a lop eared. I was told they are 3-4yrs old.)

So, my questions are also how do you or do you attach the bottom of the cage to the flooring? Or does it just sit on it? Do you put the grids inside a coro box? How do you get the 2nd level attached to the grids w/out droopage in the middle? What do you use to keep the doors closed so they can't squeeze out?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but these will do for now. Thanks! :biggrin2:

With my cages, I built plywood boxes to fit inside my cages as a bottom. They are lined with linoleum that is glued to the wood with a tiny bit of silicon to seal the corners. The edges of the boxes are covered with metal corner strips for drywalling. This is much more involved than the coroplast, but it works well for me.

I have tried making a box with the coroplast and putting it on the inside of the cubes and outside the cubes. Inside is much easier to clean, however if you have a chewer they will destroy the box in no time. With the box on the outside, it is harder to clean, but the bunnies cannot chew on it.

To keep shelves from sagging, I use L-brackets for putting shelves on the wall. I use smaller zip-ties to fit through the holes, and place them on the seams where the grids meet. Works like a charm, no sagging.

For size, I would do a 4x2 sized cage for a pair of bunnies.

And for doors, I use a small caribiner or a latch for chains. If you go to a hardware store, they should have all sorts of clips and fasteners you can use.

-Dawn

Oh thank you very much for the info! I really appreciate it! I especially love the L bracket solution.

Do you use bedding on the floor or fleece or anything else?

I use chloroplast for the floors in my cages. I have it on the inside and use poster hangers on the edges to prevent chewing. I don't have grids on the base of the cage, so the chloroplast can slide in or be put in by lifting the cage. You do want to make sure the chloroplast is clean and dry before you tape the edges up. I prefer duct tape for it, masking tape absorbs urine and liquid. If you cut it carefully, you only need tape on the corners.

Wooden dowels are great for supporting levels. Get them at least 1" thick and cut them to be a couple inches longer than the shelf. Zip tie the on.

I use short bungee cords to keep the doors on Korr and Penelope's cage closed. They also have a caribener clip on the bottom as they chew it to get out. On Lillians cage, I have binder clips.

I would do at least 2X4X2 for the cage. You can go higher and add a level if you want.

I use blankets in my cages. Fleece can also work. Avoid towels as they some bunnies will tear them apart and eat the little bits.

Thank you again for the responses. My girls and I are really wanting to adopt these 2 adorable bunnies but we're running into a minor roadblock...hubby. Keep your fingers crossed that we can change his mind.

Welcome, Zoey!!!

I'm so glad to hear you're attracted to the ideas. Rabbits are super pets, my hubby would have it no other way, seriously.:bunnydance:

I actually used Dawn's idea for the L brackets when doing our NIC cages, thanks Dawn, lol.

Best of luck on those, any questions, let us know, no matter how dumb you think you're being, that happened with us with those cages. So...feel free...:D

Well boo! I didn't get the two bunnies we were going to adopt. They ended up going to someone else. But at least, I have a good idea how to do a cage. :)

Here's our new bunny, Cookie Doh Sundae (aka Cookie), new cage. I still need to do a few things w/ it but I hope he likes it better than the small one he had. I wouldn't put one of my guinea pigs in his old one. :)

Cookie4310jpg.jpg

Are you talking about the black edges? If so, it's the bottom half of a Lowe's shelving unit. Here's a picture of the entire unit. Buddy lives in the bottom two levels.

Buddysextendedcage2310jpg.jpg

No problem! Thanks for the compliments. Except for his growling when I get into his cage, Buddy (used to be Cookie) is doing great! We pretty much leave him out like this all the time. He seems to enjoy it better.

Back