Lost my two buns, should I get another?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedSerpent

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need help deciding. Last week the neighbors dogs got loose and tore open my hutch, killing my two mini rex. I originally planned on waiting until summer before getting more, however on craigslist is a bunny needing rehomed, a lop which was what I was interested in. The owner is allergic to it (apperantly) and is housing it in a play pen I guess. I just dont know whether I want to take one on again so soon after loosing my two. It would be indoors for at least the winter (or until the dog issue is solved), it just seems kind of soon, but I do have a lot of food left andall the supplies I need.

Like I said, it would be inside overwinter and after those dogs are dealt with... Which by then knowing me it will probably be a permenent indoor resident. The owner says it's an English lop, but I have never seen one in the area so I'm assuming its actually a mini. Is it hard to tell between the common lop breeds?

It really is up to you. Only you can really know if you are ready for more bunnies right now. It does sound like you do want another one in the future, but right now it could be too much.

When I have lost rabbits, I haven't been ready for another one for a few weeks after. Getting Sean after Sophie died was probably the quickest, but even that was around 3 weeks after that I adopted him and another couple weeks before he could come home. Lillian was around 7 weeks after Sean died (this was more scheduling though) and Amelia was 6 weeks after Penelope died. It took a while before I was really ready to get another rabbit, and then it was somewhat waiting for the right one to come along.

If you feel emotionally ready, then at least meet the rabbit and decide then. If you are not ready, then you do have to consider that. Sometimes the right rabbit just comes along and you have to jump at the chance.

Well I can usually tell a french lop cause there huge and of course the english is unmistakeable. But you would have to post pics if its a mini or holland. I think the holland is smaller then the mini strangely enough

Well I went ahead and got him, he's definatly not a mini! Looks like a French lop to me but I have no experiance with them so not 100%. Here's a quick picture of him.

384926_2378565778657_1086007536_32415432_980778054_n.jpg

If he is big, fat and cuddly, he is probably a French lop. Benjamin on my avatar is a french lop. They are usually around 10 pounds and up. Benjamin is 15 pound of cuddles. You will know in your heart if there is room for another animal. I personally am totally lost without one, so tend to jump in quickly, not that you forget the one you lost or don't grieve for them. If you can guarantee that they will be safe, go for it.

congrats on your new baby. i just heard not long ago that the best way to move on after a loss of an animal is to get another one. whether or not it's true idk lol.

i haven't had rabbits for years until i adopted my Tucker today, but is it just me or does your bunnies eye look a little red along the nose (not just meaning from the breed or your camera) and maybe a little infected? like i said i'm i guess new to rabbits in a way so don't take my word for it, but just thought i'd ask and point it out in case he is a little sick.

Latest posts

Back