Lost a kit (shy)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitfarmer

Reaction score
We've lost kits before, but they were always newborns. This is the first older kit we lost. She was 8 wks old. Honestly i had doubts as to whether she would live, so i was surprised she made it this long. She was the runt of the bunch. Her brothers and sisters towered over her. a lot of times I would go to feed them and couldn't find her, because she would be hidden behind a sibling. Which BTW is how she got her name "shy". Because was always hiding behind a sibling or her mom. She was 1/2 the size of her brothers and sisters. But here is a picture of Shy. My 9 year old is holding her. The towel is because she's afraid the rabbits will poop or pee on her LOL!

shy.jpg

BTW besides being smaller than the other rabbits, she really looked nothing like them. Of course being our rabbits are a mixed breed (lion head and rex mix). You never really know what they'll look like. But she seemed to have more of the smoother look to her, plus more of a light brown fur. Whereas her siblings are all gray or white and have more of the lion head look. They look like a bunch of fluff balls :)

Christina mom to 4 girls, lots of rabbits, and a dog

My heartfelt condolences for your loss. Mixed or purebred, there's always a chance one just doesn't get the right genes from both parents. And sometimes, no matter what you do, they still pass.

I truly believe she held on as long as she did, because of the TLC of which she was surrounded by. Just like other runts do. Hoping one day, that the sadness of her loss fades. She was a beautiful girl. And should be remembered with a smile.

K

Back