Loss of one in a bonded pair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLover

Reaction score
My two rabbitswere not an officialbonded pair, they slept in separate cages and had occasional fights,but they were very close. Now that BlueBelle is gone and I know CupCakeis missing herI've been spending a lot of one on one timewith her. She has been very clingy and hasn't left my side for morethan a minute.But now that I'm back in school and all myafter school activities have started up again I'm not sure how she isgoing to handle it. I'm still going to be spending tons of time withher, but not as much as I have been. Are there some things I shouldwatch out for? Like signs that she is depressed orlonely? Idon't feel like I'm ready for another rabbit right now but if she needsa friend I definitely will get her one.

Lissa

When Lenci died, Iszy got really depressed andstopped eating. And they weren't even a bondedcouple! They were in separate units. Keep a veryclose eye on CupCake. Make sure she is eating, drinking,etc.

Thank you so much.Eatinganddrinking isthe one thing I've really beenwatching. She seems to be doing fine with both, but I'm still reallynervous. She has starteddoingherobnoxiouscage diggingmore often though. I havefound that if I take her out and let her run she doesn't do it as muchwhen she goes back to her cage. I think she may just be doing that toget attention, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Are you thinking about getting another companion for her?

I've been considering it. It would definately beeasy to adopt one from the shelter this time of year. The only problemis I'm just not sure I'm ready for another rabbit right now. For nowI'll just be goingon what CupCake needs.

Lissa

That's what we did for Iszy too. Wegot Pristine for her...not us. If it were up to us, we wouldhave never got another bunny. I'm glad we didthough. I just didn't want to replace Lenci.

I have been very worried about this lately asJacques had surgery last week for tumors that may be cancerous and hispartner Joey doesn't like anybody or anything but him. Jacques doesn'tseem ill now but if Joey should lose him I would be very worried asJoey doesn't like me or any of my other rabbitsat all. ithink the reason they bonded is that they are polar opposites. Jacquesis extremely meek, sweet and probably never bit anything in his lifeand Joey is a little fighter. I will be following this as i realize thedilemna you are in.

I miss my baby so much. CupCake has beenamazing. She just seems to know when I need a snuggle. Ionlywant the best for her. I just wish it wasn't so hard tofigure out what is best.

angieluv~ I hope Jacques gets better and that he and Joey can go around terrorizing everybody for a long time.

On ahappier note: Yesterday I was laying on the couch andCupCake was running around her play area. Then suddenly she looked overat me and went flying across the room to the couch. As she was walkingup the ramp to me she started buzzing then she nudged me for a noserub. I was sad and that made me smile, I don't think I've ever heardher buzz before.

Lissa

Latest posts

Back