Losing hair?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
I have two Californian siblings, Chaos & Catastrophe. They're both maybe three months old, and live in a cage with a divider in my garage.

Lately I noticed Chaos was losing hair on his face. At first it was a tiny patch, so I didn't think much of it. But now it's become quite large and he's losing fur on other parts of his face.

One patch is about the size of his eye, and right above his right eye. The other is a broken line across his nose.

I think it may be fighting, but I've never seen them fight and they're never together. The cage holes are 2x1 but I don't think Chaos can fit his head through all the way to his eyes?

I'm not sure if he's cut himself either. I checked for things he could be hurt on and didn't find anything. They also don't look like cuts.

Could the other bunny be overgrooming him in those areas? Is fur growing back in in the bald spots?

You Probably should separate them temporarily to see if it has anything to do with contact between the two when you are not around and if it continues after they no longer have contact
it sounds to me like a mite or mange problems which would require an anti parasitic.

only certain drugs are safe to use on rabbits ; it would be great if you could see a vet for diagnosis and treatment

I've had rabbits do something similar by grooming and hairpulling through the bars. It doesn't matter how beat up they get, they keep sticking their faces in their. ;)

If they weren't so young, I'd mention some weird molting patterns too.

Be advised that mites and mange are totally different things that need different and specific treatment, so if separating them makes no difference, you'll need to get an analysis.

sas :clover:

Alright, I'll move him and see if he gets better.

It kind of is spreading to the underside of his head, could the other bunny be grooming there too?

Latest posts

Back