lop rescue went from angel to monster!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brimmhere

Reaction score
the little sweet lop i got in yesterday wentfrom angel to a monster!! i cant get near her, if itry to reach in the hutch to get her she lunges at me has alreadyscratched me up darn good and is growling and grunting at me.i managed to scruff her to get her out so i could clean herhutch. i put her in the outside run and when i went to gether she reacted the same way!!! i cant believe herattitude!! its so nasty! if this keeps up theres noway possible to adopt her into a family! im almost wonderingif she was like this and thats why they got rid of her to me.when they brought her here they kept her in the cage and didnt try topet her or anything. i had her out yesterday with noproblems. i was able to hold her clip her nails and the boyswere holding her just fine. she didnt even kick to get away.now today a totally different rabbit!! uggghhh just when ithought i was healing up from scratches im all sliced up againlol what do you guys suggest i do with her??

give her more time to settle in.Rabbits don't like being picked up and you should never put your handsin there hutch as this is the only place they feel safe.

In the wild you would be viewed as a predator envading the warren totake the rabbit away and eat it this is how she will see you until shegets used to you.

Spend time with her on ground level. lye on the floor and lether come to you, when she comes over give her a treat and try pether... it takes time.

Probably the reason they gave her up was because they thought she wouldbe a cute cuddly pet and did not know much about rabbits to realise ittakes time.

I hope you keep on with her it sounds like your a lovelly person forjust adopting her so with a bit of patience you should be fine.

When I first got black jack i thought they were all cute and fluffy andi could pick him up and cuddle him but after a while i learnt thiswasnt the case..when u get used to it they are great companions.

Hope this helps.

It is hard to say what kind of life she ledbefore coming to you. I'd give her a day or two to settle into her new surroundings. She may be reacting out of confusionor fear. After she has had a reasonable amount of time tosettle in, I'd handle her every day whether she likes it or not, andtreat her in a kind and quiet manner. Maybe give her a treatlike a carrot piece to eat while she is sitting with you. Ijust would not let her bad behavior allow her to get her own way unlessthat bad behavior turns to biting. I can't tolerate a biterand you really can't re-home a rabbit that is a danger tohumans. Maybe put her into a smaller cage with a topopening so that it is harder for her to lunge directly at youand it is easier for you to grab her from the top. Hopefullysome kindness and persistance on your part will bring heraround. Good Luck

i do rabbit rescue so i have to be able to getinto her hutch to get her out. as i clean themdaily. plus if she wants food and water she has toat least allow me to place my hands in there to do that without tryingto kill me lol ive not had a rabbit in yet act the way sheis. its like a double personality! plus justwalking by the hutch she will growl and lunge at you. i cantavoid walking by as there are other rabbits here that need care also!!

when I was about 14i had a silverbutterfly lop, when she was out of her cage she was a angel,Ieven won best in show with her. But in the cage she was acow, growling and biting.I think she was justprotecting her territory, maybe this new bun isfeel insecurebecause she has been moved, and she thinks of the hutch as her own, soyou are not allowed in.

that does sound a bit funny the only thing i could think of is hormones? maybe getting her spayed would help?

Sounds just like my Binkie (aka...the evil lop)!!:mad:

We got her for my daughter on Valentine Day. I had seen her about aweek before and she was in a cage with 3-4 other small bunnies. When wewent to pick her up the pet store had added 4-5 more bunnies to thecage. Binkie was just laying in the corner. She seems sosweet and mellow. Even for the first few days she was very cuddly.After about a week she turned into a demon bunnie. I have more scarsand healing bite/scratch marks from her, that it's not funny any more.

She attacked so viciously one day that I turned her litter pan over on top of her so I could get my hand out of her mouth.

I have to hold her down to fill her food bowl or hay rack. Changing her litter pan can be downright dangerous.

It's terrible, but I've gotten to the point where I don't trust her any more.

I put her in the ex-pen on Saturday. She was acting ok and sitting upreal pretty, so I decide to pick her up. BIG MISTAKE!! I now have anopen wound in the middle of my chest....OWIE!!!!:disgust:

I'm thinking that's it's teenbunnietudewithhormones. Time to consider spaying I reckon!!

~Jim

Not unusual behavior now that she is settling inand has established herself as the "Queen" of the warren.These type "A" personality rabbits are generallyveryaggressive and establish themselves at the top of the "peckingorder".

Spaying may sometimes help.

Pam

wow thanks for the advise. the onlything that worries me is what if this behavior doesnt stop whenspayed! i will have put out over 100.00 on an unadoptablerabbit . yes i do rabbit rescue but i cant have an aggressiverabbit . i dont care if they have to spend the rest of therelife with me thats not a problem what is the problem is if i cant evenhandle her! i think im going to try andcontact the owner to see if they were having trouble with her and ifthis is the reason i now have her.

thank you to all !!

Yes we have a few bunnies at school which arelike that growl when you put your hands in their cage but they are finewhen you are holding them acept the lion head he once bit me arm anddidt let go i was trying to get him off but couldt any help which couldcalm him down PLEASE HELP US !

:shock:... Maybe its just, she was shy at firstand wasn't used to her surroundings so she didn't mind being cuddled orwhatever, but now that she is getting used to it, she is getting someterritorial problems, socialize her a lot more, and just let herexplore the room, im guessing this could help her get moretrustworthy... if someone were to adopt her tell them that she doesneed to be spayed.. or maybe you could work something out with a vetsoffice,... some shelters become friends with vets and they charge a lotless for things like that ;)exams are always good too.

Brimm isat this minute working withan Animal Behaviorist , I havespoken with Kim andThis rabbit May have someof the Atypical behavior by notbeing assoicated with people ,The way she explained to it to me, It sounds like this Rabbitnever had human contact otherthan to be thrown food anda water bottle hung on thecage( which would explain the behavior) Not to mention I am willingto guatentee there was abuse involved ,She may never get this rabbitto come round to people, Most all of Us whowork and deal inRescue can attest tothe horror of amomentary docile animal turninginto the most demonic animal onthe face of the earth , tryingto compare this or anyrabbit like her to acuddled snuggled pampered bunnyis like comapring applesand oranges , they are notthe same . I have acouple that act JUSTlike this one , and trust me there isnt awhole lot that can be done toresocialize it into being a pet, I have massive scars ,and had plenty of stitchesto attest to this statement ,The only thing you can reallydo IS keep it safeprotected with you andknow it can Never be adoptedout . AND watch all body partsthat have to get intothe cage. ANd If likeme ya wanna becarefull about those blobs on your chest, they get into that cage theyare fair game !!!:shock:

oh my what a deal. thanks gypsy forall the support!! yes its hard with some of the cases we getinto rescue!! i was lucky enough to find crystal, who camedown today and picked up this rabbit. she works with smalleranimals such as rabbits, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs with behaviorissues. she saw first hand what i was talking aboutwith this little lops aggression. crystal opened the hutchfrom the top and immediatly the rabbit was growling. she wasable to scruff her to get her out but not with out a down rightfight. already crystal has some nasty scratches down herarms. the lop tried to bite her but luckly missed.she said she will work with her over the next 3 months minimum to gether used to having human contact, correct diet (previous owner fedcrappy food), and try to get her to calm down. she will begetting spayed. but as crystal , gypsy and i know first hand, she may never be able to be adopted. the sad truth aboutdoing rescue. i will keep everyone posted over the next fewsmonths on how or if this little girl changes. im hoping andwishing for the best for her.

Latest posts

Back