Lop Ear Question....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windyhill

Reaction score
I am a huge genetic nut and the other day I was researching fur (rex) and ear types on rabbits and became really interested in lop ears.

From what I understand, lop ears arent recessive or dom.
The lop has something to do with the head shape I beleive it was.

Can you get lop ears from two rabbits with stadard ears that have lop ears on their background?

It is dependent on the development of crown. I believe crown development is a polygenic gene and cannot be determined by just a punnet square or simple genetic probabilities.

windyhill wrote:
Can you get lop ears from two rabbits with stadard ears that have lop ears on their background?

It is actually possible for erect ears to lop even when there are no lops in the background. I've seen this happen on occasion during long periods of hot weather.

pamnock wrote:
windyhill wrote:

It is actually possible for erect ears to lop even when there are no lops in the background. I've seen this happen on occasion during long periods of hot weather.

I actually just read something about that,lol. Lop ears are very interesting.,

If 2 standard ears are bred together with lop ears int heir background how likey is it likey to get lop ears?

Too many factors/genes are involved to estimate the chances of the ears lopping except that if they can lop with no lop in the background, they are more likely to lop if they do have lop in the background :) On the other hand, sometimes the ears are perfectly erect despite all the ancestors having lopped ears.

pamnock wrote:
Too many factors/genes are involved to estimate the chances of the ears lopping except that if they can lop with no lop in the background, they are more likely to lop if they do have lop in the background :) On the other hand, sometimes the ears are perfectly erect despite all the ancestors having lopped ears.
Makes sense, thanks!

Latest posts

Back