loosing weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woahlookitsme

Reaction score
Ok fellow forum dwellers any ideas?

IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Description (Breed, color, weight): Himalayan, Black, probably around 3-4lbs

Sex: Female intact

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: loosing weight

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? yes
- when did they last use their litterbox? stays outside, no litterbox
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? no
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? none

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? no
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? no, vet appointment scheduled today
- is s/he on any medications? no

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? Since she was little she as been on Purina 50/50 blue and gray bag mix (16% and 18% protein), started adding coastal and timothy hay, alfalfa also has been addded, she is also eating rolled oats
- when and what did s/he eat last? pellets, maybe 1/2cup of rolled oats
- any changes in the way s/he eats? (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc) no

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? shes not as active
- is the rabbit molting? no hair is looking scruffy and shes getting smut on her rear
- any weight loss? yes
- any sign of drooling? wet face? no
- runny eyes? no
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? no
- is s/he breathing normally? yes

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? no
- has the rabbit been outdoors? yes
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? yes. 2 litter mates deceased unknown cause, same symptoms at a younger age (they had stunted growth but unknown reason) all babies were housed together until 12/19. Moved three (including her) out of mommas cage. Cages were sprayed with bleach 10% solution and vanodine.

Just a follow up to the above, I felt that I had to take the little doe to the vet because she'd lost 6 ozs in 4 days. Was listless and not eating enough to stay alive.Idid some reading on this but couldn't figure out what was going on. No respiratory issues and no loose stools. Found a vet who treats rabbits and he couldn't find any obvious reason either. He put her on a 7day course of Albon and one "rabbit" dose of Revolution.We also have some Critical Care to supplement the oats and timothy that she will eat.Just have to wait and see if this works!

I was kind of impressed that he was able to check all of her teeth and take her temp without her fighting him. He put the rabbit on her back in his lap, holding the base of her ears with one hand and stroking her belly with the other. In a few minutes time she was zonked. He even said he can take blood samples from a rabbit in this state with no problem. So, I tried it today while giving her the Critical Care and med, and it worked pretty good...you learn something new every day!

That is called "trancing" and not all bunnies will do it but it is a lifesaver if they will.

There are a number of things that could cause it. The vet did a good job in covering some of the possibles with Albon and Revolution as the most likely cause is a parasite of some sort.

Were the others from her litter necropsied at all? Are the dam and sire healthy? I just worry that if there was stunted growth and now weight loss there may be something going on internally. If the current treatment doesn't help, I would have the vet take blood to check cell counts and chemistry and look at a blood smear on a slide.

She seems to be doing better, at least she has started gaining weight again, and is a little more active. Her pellet output isn't where it should be justyet. I'm watching her siblings just in case, but so far everyone is fine.

tonyshuman, no, the two who died were not necropsied but if we'd lost this one we were going to do it this time. All 6 in the litter were the same size for the first 4-6 weeks and then I noticed that two just weren't growing much andwere getting thin...the two that died. Both parents are healthy and the breeder said she'd had no problems like this. The buck was proven but it was the doe's first litter. Ididn't expect any more problems because the other 4 grewas expected. Anyway, we hada fecal sample checked on this doe and it was negative, but the vet said that rabbitscan be good at hiding parasites. Hopefully, she will continue to improve.

It seems odd that the smut on her rump appeared when she gotsick. It did get cold here and I know thatHimalayans are sensitive to temp changes and getting smut, but she's the only one who got it.

Latest posts

Back