Loosing lots of fur!? Or is it just because winter is coming?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentley

Reaction score
My rabbit, Bentley, as you all probably already know has a broken foot - i think. Anywho, she's been loosing a lot of fur. There was a line of white fur (she's brown) like, a large horizontal line going across her body, and it keeps on going back futher. I've only had her for a year, so I'm not quite sure, but I know rabbits shed REALLY bad twice a year - once in spring and once in fall - however, I'm still concerned because it might be from stress and her hurt leg. (she DOES NOT have any bald patches though)

Obviously I'll get confirmed information about her furloss when I take her into the vet, but I just wanted to discuss this with other people. And whats the best way to help keep there fur off of all your furniture and clothes when these shedding times come around?

No bald spots to me sounds like a normal molt. I use those tape-on-a-roll things to get fur off furniture. Another thing that helps is a HEPA air filter in the bunny's room.

I don't think Pipp moulted at all her first year, but ever since there has been no set times she does molt, same with all my others. Some seem to molt constantly -- although it probably just seems that way. ;)

My mini-rex, Dill, would molt with big missing patches, but the others all have the traditional moving 'line' of hair.

I like petting them with wet hands (I have a bowl of warm water and paper towels nearby), it gets the hair off, doesn't make them too nervous and it can be a human/rabbit bonding experience.

And like Tonyshuman, I like the tape rollers for the clothes and furniture.

sas :bunnydance:

Getting them wet won't harm the fur, it can just cause them to get sick if they get too cold from being wet.

No you just dampen your hands and then run it down his back so the fur will stick to your hands ; he shouldn't get wet at all

then you wipe your hands with the paper towel to get the fur off and throw it out. the rabbit shouldn't get wet at all you are just rubbing damp hands over him

Latest posts

Back