Loosing hair

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd also say, for now just treat the candida as long as he seems to be doing well. In 2 weeks, either the problem is gone and it would be wise to do a blood analysis (it's a really simple procedure, just like for a human no anesthesia) to check for any deficiency or underlying problem (because candida and the cecotrophes left over are both not normal) or the problem is still here and it's back to the vet for a more agressive treatment (the one I mentionned in an earlier reply) and I suggest asking for a blood test while you're here. It can't hurt and it might be beneficial in the long run to check there is not a hidden problem which might be minor now but might become a lot harder to cure if you wait.
If I were you I'd rather know for sure anyway.
I'm going to the vet for one of mine tomorrow. I'm 90% sure it's just cataract and the vet won't do anything. I feel bad making her go as she has only recently calmed down and that she finally looks comfortable, but I'd rather set back her progresses a bit and know for sure that there isn't any underlying infection / parasit / glaucoma rather than wonder and risk having a real problem on my hands one or two months from now.

Candida would be a very rare cause for a skin condition in rabbits. The most common cause for fur loss on the back behind the neck, would be fur mites. Along with the fur loss, was there dandruffy skin before you started applying the ointment? And did the vet ever check for mites or try treating for them first, and if so what was the treatment? Indoor rabbits can still get mites. They can be brought in on the rabbits hay and/or bedding.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Aside from your rabbits skin condition, he looks perfectly happy and content to me.

There was a little bit of dandruff. Bedding is wood pellets. Hay I buy it in 2.5 kg from zooplus.com. I grow dandelion, grass, basil, mint on the balcony, but I always check for insects. I'm very paranoid.
The vet checked with an uv lamp for bites. Nothing to show. Before Triderm she gave me some ointments to put on his back. Didn't worked. It became bigger.
I can see that after this treatments, in spite the fact that he tumps me, he is really relaxed. Didn't see that in him for a very long time. ;))

I'd also say, for now just treat the candida as long as he seems to be doing well. In 2 weeks, either the problem is gone and it would be wise to do a blood analysis (it's a really simple procedure, just like for a human no anesthesia) to check for any deficiency or underlying problem (because candida and the cecotrophes left over are both not normal) or the problem is still here and it's back to the vet for a more agressive treatment (the one I mentionned in an earlier reply) and I suggest asking for a blood test while you're here. It can't hurt and it might be beneficial in the long run to check there is not a hidden problem which might be minor now but might become a lot harder to cure if you wait.
If I were you I'd rather know for sure anyway.
I'm going to the vet for one of mine tomorrow. I'm 90% sure it's just cataract and the vet won't do anything. I feel bad making her go as she has only recently calmed down and that she finally looks comfortable, but I'd rather set back her progresses a bit and know for sure that there isn't any underlying infection / parasit / glaucoma rather than wonder and risk having a real problem on my hands one or two months from now.

I'll be courageous and ask for a blood test.
Thank you.

Question: if there are fur mites, shouldn't Fury also have them? They live together since October last year.

Update: So, my baby definitely has some sort of fungus. I saw it with the microscope. The hair follicles are cut some how by the bacteria. It looks very strange. He will receive Ivermectin one of this days, when is ready and portioned for him.

Let's hope for the best.

After the treatment I'll try a blood test. It won't be made by my vet because they don't have the instruments for it. I'll have to go to the veterinarian university for it.

Back